Keith's Reviews > The Women in the Castle

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

As we enter into the struggles and conflicts of the twenty-first century, it becomes apparent that we must learn something from history; that is if the species is to survive. We have now reached that point where the participants and witnesses of the European conflagration known as WWII are quickly passing away so perhaps it's time to listen for some of those signals from the past. Although Shattuck's characters are fictitious, their stories are not. Her depiction of three German women that lived through the tragedy of that great human conflict and loss of life is both engrossing and disheartening. It is a tale of great bravery and strength but also moral weakness and cowardliness. As the wives of men that were directly involved in Germany's Third Reich, either as accused traitors or as willing assistants, they provide a perspective that's seldom examined. Each woman looks back on her experiences and how she participated in the outcome. Although each of the women's lives and backgrounds is unique, they were all faced with a point where they had to make an enormous and enduring decision that they would live with for the rest of their lives. The outcome would leave them with guilt or pride. How would each of us face that decision today? How will we make that decision? This is a well-written novel that provides the reader with an opportunity to examine important questions and our own moral core.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women in the Castle.

Finished Reading