megs_bookrack's Reviews > Hurricane Season

Hurricane Season by Nicole Melleby

bookshelves: arcs-read

Fig may look like any other 6th grader but she is struggling to stay afloat. She lives alone with her father, a once renowned pianist, who is living with bipolar disorder. As a consequence of this, Fig's role is often more one of parent than child.

Regardless of daily struggles, Fig loves her father with her whole heart and she knows that he loves her too. He is trying his hardest, he really is, but without any sort of outside assistance or treatment, they are barely getting by.

After an embarrassing incident at school, one of Fig's teachers becomes concerned and ends up contacting Child Protective Services. Now being watched by a social worker, Fig feels even more pressure to maintain their household, projecting as much normalcy as she can.

During an art class, she learns a bit about Vincent Van Gogh and his mental health issues. She can see similarities between Van Gogh's personality and her father's so she decides to find out all she can about him in an effort to better understand how her father's mind works.

Through all of this, Fig is also going through things any 6th grader would go through. Feeling out of place at school, tension with some friends and discovering her own sexuality.

This book is so beautiful and pure. I adore Fig with my whole heart. She was such a precious little bean who is wise beyond her years. Her relationship with her best friend, Danny, was just so precious, as was her crush on Hannah, the girl who works at her local library.

I was very impressed with the writing and feel that Melleby does a seamless job of inserting important topics into the narrative without them seeming forced. The story felt very organic and real.

I was a legit emotional mess upon finishing this. It was just gorgeous. The strength of the bond between Fig and her father. His will to overcome and work through his illness any way he could, it was...ugh...no words. My heart is full.

I would recommend this to anyone. Even though this is a Middle Grade story, I think this can absolutely be enjoyed by readers of all ages!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurricane Season.

November 14, 2018 – Shelved
November 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 1, 2019 – Started Reading
May 1, 2019 –
page 8
2.78% "Someone pass the tissues.
I can already tell, y'all...

"
May 1, 2019 –
page 86
29.86% "This is incredibly moving."
May 2, 2019 –
page 107
May 3, 2019 –
page 132
May 5, 2019 –
page 194
67.36% "IMPORTANT MIDDLE GRADE ALERT!!!
💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤💙"
May 8, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
May 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

The Clever Reader So many feels!!

megs_bookrack Sarah (The Clever Reader) wrote: "So many feels!!"So MANY!!! Fig is just the sweetest little peanut trying her hardest.

The Clever Reader megs_bookrack wrote: "Sarah (The Clever Reader) wrote: "So many feels!!"So MANY!!! Fig is just the sweetest little peanut trying her hardest."

Yes! I 100% agree!

message 4: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Great review! The cover of this book looks gorgeous too! :)

megs_bookrack Brandice wrote: "Great review! The cover of this book looks gorgeous too! :)" Thank you! Yes the cover is gorgeous. I love how it pulls inspiration from Van Gogh. So fitting with the story!

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review megs!💋💖

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Excellent review megs!💋💖" Thank you so much, Kat! xo

message 8: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline What a lovely and touching review, Megs! I just had to add it! :)

message 9: by HP Saucerer (new) - added it

HP Saucerer Was already drawn to this by David Litchfield’s beautiful cover, but your glowing review has now further piqued my interest. 🙂 This sounds unmissable.

megs_bookrack Jaline wrote: "What a lovely and touching review, Megs! I just had to add it! :)" I really hope you read it, Jaline. It is a quick book and so worth it! xo

megs_bookrack HP Saucerer wrote: "Was already drawn to this by David Litchfield’s beautiful cover, but your glowing review has now further piqued my interest. 🙂 This sounds unmissable."
I hope you read it! I would be interested to hear your thoughts. It is a very moving story.

message 12: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan The cover alone would have made me want to read this book, but your beautiful review makes me want to pick it up and read it as soon as I possibly can.

message 13: by Barbara (last edited May 10, 2019 03:40AM) (new)

Barbara Great review Megs. 🙂

Some kids take on such big responsibilities .

megs_bookrack Jan wrote: "The cover alone would have made me want to read this book, but your beautiful review makes me want to pick it up and read it as soon as I possibly can."
Jan! Thank you so much, that is so kind! The cover is absolutely gorgeous.

megs_bookrack Barbara wrote: "Great review Megs. 🙂

Some kids take on such big responsibilities ."

Thank you so much, Barbara. They certainly do and in this book it was written with such care. I really enjoyed it.