Lillie's Reviews > The Fallen Queen

The Fallen Queen by Jane Kindred

Jan 09, 2012

bookshelves: arc-galley, ebook, for-review, i-own, nook-books, received-for-promotion, review-copy, series

See the full review at: Read My Mind

My Review:
All hail fantasy. My roots in genre fiction started with high fantasy. I love reading it, but I don't do it often enough for some reason. I love the world-building, I love the character development, I love the seemingly impossible quest the protags must go on... And when I finish reading a truly good fantasy book, I realize how much I missed the genre. That's exactly what happened to me during and after my reading of THE FALLEN QUEEN.

Kindred has put a twist on angel lore in a new and captivating way. Angels and Demons are still at odds, but they both reside in Heaven. Fallen refers to those that have step foot upon the human earthly plane. Heaven echoes earth. Or is it the other way around? Kindred's plot and characters were utterly engrossing. They took me on a ride of danger, violence, sex, redemption, mystery, and cultural immersion that I have yet to come down from.

The central plotline revolved around Anazakia and her flight from heaven after her family is murdered. However, this puts her in the hands of Belphagor and Vasily, two demons and complex characters in their own right, whose relationship with each other and their pasts are explored throughout the novel. The earthly setting is in Russia, and Kindred infuses Vasily, Belphagor and Anazakia's interactions with the Russian language and culture of the time. Though there is plenty of strange-looking vocabulary from both the Russian and Arkhangel'sk languages, it lends authenticity and I enjoyed the inclusion.

THE FALLEN QUEEN is not fantasy lite, where a fantasy setting falls to the background of a romance or love triangle. This is fantasy at its best, where the intricacies of the world are spun out amidst angel court intrigue, three people on the run from a mad queen and her bespelled pawn, sacrifice and discovery.

5/5 for plot
4.5/5 for characters
4.5/5 for language

My Rating: 14/15 (4.5 stars)

Must Read, if you liked:

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
The Keepers of Sulbreth by Susan Gourley
October Daye (series) by Seanan McGuire

Find the author at:
Website | Blog | Twitter | GoodReads
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen Queen.

January 9, 2012 – Started Reading