Lara's Reviews > The Hundred Secret Senses

The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan

1950405
I enjoyed the book, however I really felt that it was two different stories that never really came together. Or not really in a way that seemed to the level of what should be for a writer that gets as much hype as she does. The book is about Olivia, whose family found out when she was four, as her father was dying that he had another family in China. They bring her to the US and Olivia soon discovers that her older sister, Kwan has abilities to see and speak to spirits. It spans over several years. Olivia gets married and is on the verge of a divorce, when her, her sister and her soon to be ex travel to China together.

I can't compare it to other Amy Tan Books, as I haven't read any other ones yet. I enjoyed the development of relationships of Olivia and Kwan throughout the book, however I felt that the story never seemed to hash well.

There were some lines that I did like, though.

You don't always get what you want, no matter how smart you are, how hard you work, how good you are. That's a myth. We're all hanging in the best we can.

You can't stop young girls from wishing! No! Everyone must dream. We dream to give ourselves hope. To stop dreaming-- well, that's like saying you can never change your fate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Secret Senses.

02/23/2012 page 302