Kimberly's Reviews > True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took On The World

liked it
Read in July, 2011

True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took on the World by Jessica Watson
Reviewed by: Kimberly Reikow
Have you ever dreamed of going on an adventure to a far off land all by yourself? What if that adventure took you throughout the major oceans in the world? From October of 2009 to May of 2010, 16 year old Jessica Watson circumnavigated the globe, making herself the youngest person to sail non-stop, solo, and unassisted around the world. Throughout her seven month journey, Jessica wrote in her blog about all the amazing and terrifying things she encountered; like being hit by a giant barge, measuring at over 700 feet long (compared to her 34 foot long boat), and seeing waves over 22 feet tall. She also writes of the lightning storms she sails through and the multiple knockdowns she lives through while the enormous ocean waves knocked her sailboat around like a rubber duck in a bathtub.
Jessica gives her readers a taste of what being on the ocean is like through her descriptive and exciting blog entries (which were eventually made into this book). Though Jessica faced some near-death situations during her 210 days at sea, she learned a lot about self-motivation and the importance of believing in one’s self. Jessica’s story is one that I will always remember while sailing on my family’s sailboat. Knowing how much work it is to sail our boat (which is the same size as Jessica’s) with four people crewing, I hold a high amount of respect for Jessica and her knowledge of sailing—especially with her being so young while taking on such an enormous adventure.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who yearns for adventure, especially those who may believe they are too young to live their dreams; Jessica’s motivation and strength will quickly change your mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Spirit.

04/22/2016 marked as: read