Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

2190064

bookshelves: pnr-uf, kissing-books

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Remember when the Anita Blake series was good, back when she wasn't the Special Snowflake Queen of Sex'n'Superpowers™? (Seriously, have you read the new books? How is her vagina not permanently on fire from all that friction? Also, girl has more special moves than freaking Ditto.) Remember how the series was edgy and erotic and did not condescend to its female audience? Remember how Anita used to kick ass? Remember when there were just TWO love interests and not an entire Siouxie and the Banshees concert-worth of Gothic rejects in frilly shirts suffering from existential crises? Ilona Andrews remembers. Enter Kate Daniels.

Ilona Andrews has a huuuuuuge cult following. I got indoctrinated almost two years ago with the Hidden Legacy series (BURN FOR ME was the book that got me back into urban fantasy). After speeding through the rest of the series like a cocaine addict burning through their stash, crying ecstatically over the series' rumored (and now confirmed continuation), and frantically working my way through the rest of the Esteemed Ilona Andrews Hoard ™, I finally found my way to reading the much-hyped and very intimidating Kate Daniels series. This series has freaking fans with a capital F.

It's a little scary, because I was looking at the publication date and this book came out when I was still in high school. Despite being over ten years old, though, the book still feels fresh. Part of that is because it hasn't become dated like a lot of other older PNRs. This is because in Kate Daniel's world, magic and technology are in conflict (they short each other out), and currently magic is at its zenith, so technology has yielded to swords, horses, leylines, and magical abilities. Holy father, Batman.

Kate has decided to seek revenge for the murder of her Guardian, using her own magical powers and her trusty sword as tools. But revenge isn't simple. The murderer has covered their tracks well, and worse yet - they also appear to be responsible for the serial killings of several shape-shifters, humans, and vampires in the area. What seemed like a simple goal befitting the most basic of heroes' journey plots suddenly becomes a supernatural Gordian knot riddled with sexy shape-shifters and necromancers (oh my). Andrews doesn't hold back on the gore, either. This book packs a mean body count, and you, the reader, are sitting right in the Splash Zone. (And that ain't water.)

So, my Completely Unbiased and Possibly Unwelcome Opinion ™ on this book is... that it was good but not great. People were telling me that this series is much better than Hidden Legacy (OMFG) , and maybe that's true for the later books in the series, but honestly, BURN FOR ME has a much stronger hook. And as fun as Kate Daniels is, she doesn't have the emotional depth and aching humanity that made Nevada such a treat (and made her gradual transformation over the course of the three books that much more addictive and investing, as a result). She tosses off some good one-liners, but I don't really understand what makes her tick. She's a stiletto heel in human form: pretty, sharp, but not very empathetic or intriguing. Also, Curran is no Rogan (don't @ me). There, I said it.

Still, I'm curious to see where the books go from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

November 12, 2018 – Started Reading
November 12, 2018 – Shelved
November 12, 2018 – Shelved as: pnr-uf
November 12, 2018 – Shelved as: kissing-books
November 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

lucie this is one of my favorite book series!! i hope you'll like the rest too

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell lucie wrote: "this is one of my favorite book series!! i hope you'll like the rest too"

Thank you Lucie! I'm excited to see where Andrews takes the series :D

Karishma You finally read this?
I'm so very happy!!

Jessica Oooh, 4 stars! This makes so happy :) I love this series and particularly in the first books Kate and Curran made me laugh so much 😄

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Karishma wrote: "You finally read this?
I'm so very happy!!"

Yep!! I couldn't resist the lure 🦁

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Jessica wrote: "Oooh, 4 stars! This makes so happy :) I love this series and particularly in the first books Kate and Curran made me laugh so much 😄"

The best was when she ordered him the saucer of milk with her compliments haha

message 7: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Great review!

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Carmen wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you! 😃

A.M. I need a re read of this series.

Alexandra I remember also letting the series go, but after book 3 I was very invested on finishing it! Plus you get great info about mythologies, monsters and ancient spells. It's very well researched too. ;)

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell A.M. wrote: "I need a re read of this series."

do it!

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Alexandra wrote: "I remember also letting the series go, but after book 3 I was very invested on finishing it! Plus you get great info about mythologies, monsters and ancient spells. It's very well researched too. ;)"

ooh, I'm glad to hear it's well-researched!

Naveera It's improves by leaps, especially by book 3. Hold on till book 3.

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Naveera wrote: "It's improves by leaps, especially by book 3. Hold on till book 3."

Good to hear!

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Mimi wrote: "I enjoyed the early Laurell K. Hamilton books too, they were really good noir-ish crime stories then they turned in softcore erotica, nothing against it, just not my thing...assumed it was a delibe..."

Kelley Armstrong comes pretty close - if you haven't tried her books, I recommend them. They really capture that fun noir-ish vibe you were talking about!

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Mimi wrote: "Thanks, I guess part of the problem is that Urban Fantasy became so popular a lot of stuff was churned out to meet growing market demand, so a lot of titles/variable quality...that and the fact tha..."

I 100% agree! I like ones that have good world building and the ones that are basically just costume paranormals bore me. If it doesn't have good writing and character development, I'm not into it.

Sophie I definitely feel like this series gets better as it goes along. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed the Hidden Legacy books too, I need to read more by them.

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Sophie wrote: "I definitely feel like this series gets better as it goes along. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed the Hidden Legacy books too, I need to read more by them."

These authors are great! I need to read more by them too. :)

The Innkeeper series is fun! :o)

message 19: by Monica (new) - added it

Monica Great review!! And as a lover of the ORIGINAL Anita Blake stories, I'm adding this to my TBR. Thanks!! :)

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell Monica wrote: "Great review!! And as a lover of the ORIGINAL Anita Blake stories, I'm adding this to my TBR. Thanks!! :)"

Thanks, Monica! I'm delighted to get my favorite husband+wife writing duo a new fan!