Kars's Reviews > Researching Information Systems and Computing

Researching Information Systems and Computing by Briony J. Oates

liked it
bookshelves: science, non-fiction

Having just started a PhD in the industrial design faculty of a technical university, with a practitioner's background, I found myself struggling to get a handle on common methodologies for doing research related to IT systems. This was recommended to me by a colleague as a solid textbook and it does indeed offer a very readable and comprehensive introduction into how research is done in both computing and information systems. I found the distinction between research strategies, data collection activities and data analysis activities very helpful. I also appreciated the discussion of different scientific paradigms. My one gripe is that it has become somewhat dated in its treatment of using the internet in research. But you can skip those sections and still get a lot out of this. I don't expect to use much of this directly, as I plan to take a research through design approach primarily. But this was still useful for me to orient myself in relation to these other research disciplines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Researching Information Systems and Computing.

November 12, 2018 – Started Reading