Fanna's Reviews > The Gilded King

The Gilded King by Josie Jaffrey

72205668
The Gilded King is a paranormal set in a fantasy world which Blue and Red are two parts of. The Red denotes the danger, the end, where toxins and creatures reside while the Blue denotes the safe place where people can survive--but not for long.

Julia is a servant to the Nobles--vampires made of silver and who suck on human blood to remain alive--and can’t wait to cross the line and jump into the Red. But the Red isn’t safe or that’s what everyone keeps saying. Absolutely despising the Nobles, Julia never intended to become a personal servant to any of the “heartless” beings. But fate decides to assign her to a young boy, Lucas, who has ideologies different (yet same) from her. Parallel to this is the story of Cameron who is a part of the Solis Invicti that have pledged to protect Blue, and sets out to find Emma--a part of this group who had gone missing.

The story is said from dual POVs and that makes it all the more interesting and in momentum by giving the readers bits from each of their journeys and leaving them hanging at appropriate times too. There are twists and turns that make it an all the more pleasurable read. The romance is one that develops gradually and doesn’t make you cringe or roll your eyes--you’ll only smile and gush about the new OTPs you would make. Also, there are gay characters and not only is their relationship portrayed in a ‘normal’ way but even the first-ever mention, in the book, of them being gay is so subtly done that it impresses me.

"You don't believe in magic, then?"

"Of course,", she said, "but just because I believe in one kind of magic, it doesn't mean I have to believe in them all."

Speaking of the fantasy world, you’ll find vampires and zombies that have been renamed to better suit the fantasy this book was aimed for, along with stories/fairytales about this world that immensely helped in the world building. In addition to the romance, there are other other relationships being well endorsed especially that of friendships. Whether it’s Cameron running to find Emmy or Julia sticking by Claudia (her best friend) through thick and thin, the friendships are to die for.

They clasped each other's wrists, and the bargain was sealed.

The action in the book is amazingly incorporated to not let the other aspects dull in favor of this but still make the readers appreciate it. After all, zombies can easily take a central frame but it’s nice how all the bits of the story were walking together in the center lane. The last scene (like many others during the entirety of the book) brought an adrenaline rush and it’s a cliffhanger that I would die on because it’s so good! Needless to say, I can’t wait to read the next book in the Sovereign series.

I received a physical copy of this book via the author herself but that doesn’t, in any way, influence the rating and/or my thoughts on it. Thank you so much, Josie Jaffrey!

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

The Christmas Stocking Tag - 10 Book Recommendations

Five Books I Read in 2018 That I Didn't Expect To Love But They Now Hold My Heart

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Initial Reaction: Loved it so much! It's the book that got me out of a reading slump so yes, it's amazing. Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gilded King.

November 12, 2018 – Started Reading
November 12, 2018 – Shelved
November 12, 2018 –
page 70
23.1% "The world building is so good and I'm already rooting for the characters. Three cheers for the book that has got me out of a reading slump!!!"
November 18, 2018 –
page 132
43.56% "HOW NORMALLY did a character just out himself as gay (or bisexual, it isn't clearly mentioned)! Extra points awarded <3 <3

And another character is NORMALLY outted as asexual and YAY!"
page 184
60.73% "The world building in this book is absolutely amazing and I'm already a part of it and ugh, I don't know if I want this to end because then I'll have to move out of this world :("
page 208
68.65% "['This is what it means,' he said, his fingers finding the stud in her ear.

'That you claim me?' she said, surprised by the teasing note in her own voice.

'No,' he said. 'That you're the one I would choose.']"
page 240
79.21% "Alright...I'm a little scared for the four protagonists and I just want to protect them all but I have this really bad feeling that something bad's gonna happen!

Also, I like how much Julia cares for Claudia--true friendship goals."
page 256
84.49% "Relationship goals! Ahhh, the love <3"
November 20, 2018 –
page 278
91.75% "It's that time when you want to finish the book but you also don't want to finish the book."
November 20, 2018 – Finished Reading