Andrea's Reviews > The Fractal Prince

Jan 09, 2012

bookshelves: my-collection, sci-fi
Read from October 14 to 15, 2012

Oh... my.....god.....
Reading this diamond hard sci-fi novel is certainly not for space opera virgins. My mind is bleeding from the attempt. But then again nothing previously written in the genre (except volume one) could prepare one adequately for this frenetically paced, incredibly complex, fractally dense, relentlessly overwhelming work. It is post human, post singularity and post current imagination.
Sui generis indeed, and the gentle reader is not provided with a easy roadmap. Or a lifebelt. It's sink or swim, there is minimal explanation of the myriad of complex ideas, and I'm certain many will abandon ship by the third chapter.
For those who persevere, there is a delight of nested stories, and an unveiling of known and new protagonists. I am sure that the final novel will be a stunner.
All I can say is "here be dragons" and "you are not prepared".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fractal Prince.

10/14/2012 page 183
61.0% ""blinks in total overload" this is certainly not the book for a space opera virgin. Post human, post singularity, post everything that's been written in the genre. Love the Arabian nights & nested stories." 8 comments
05/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Awesome review. Rajaniemi blows me away too, Sui generis indeed, indeed! I'm struggling to find something else in this vein or at least some decent space opera that has this kind of craft, any suggestions?

Andrea hi Bee, there is literally nothing quite like this in the genre. You might like Saturn's children by Charles Stross, or Alaister Reynolds stuff for that post-human feel.
Thanks for liking my review!

Andrea Or for great space opera you could try the Gap series by Donaldson. (sorry cant link, on my phone)

message 4: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Thanks! Will check them out forthwith!

Andrea and of course there is the Peter Hamilton stuff, and Iain M Banks.
But I have a very soft spot for the Donaldson Gap series - its fabulous imho.

message 6: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee i love Banks, and Hamilton. But there are so few of the same quality. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm adding Donaldson immediately. Stross... love/hate, lol. Lets see. Have you tried James S.A. Corey? Not half bad, unexpectedly good in fact.

Andrea no...might try.
ooo - and the Dan Simmons - Hyperion etc. Really really good.

message 8: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Hyperion... never did finish it. Just couldn't connect to it at all. It's on my One Day When I'm Big list, lol.

Ninja I wasn't a fan of Saturn's children, but I loved Accelerando.
I hear good things about the Golden Age.

Andrea Golden Age was fun. Stross takes getting used to, he is quite edgy.

Michael Ian McDonald was the only writer that came close to this. "Terminal Cafe", "Brasyl" and "River of Gods".
His new series starting with "Luna" is very promising!

Andrea hi Michael. I loved those books too. Ive recently finished Wolf Moon and agree, its excellent.