Julie's Reviews > My Love Story

My Love Story by Tina Turner

bookshelves: 2018, non-fiction, music, memoir, e-book, atria

My Love Story by Tina Turner is a 2018 Atria Books publication.

Simply the best-

Tina Turner is another artist who has been around my entire life. I remember seeing her perform Proud Mary on television back when I was a little kid and found Tina’s stage presence to be electrifying.

Still, it wasn’t until she released her solo album,back in the eighties, that I became a huge fan. I loved her MTV videos, her music, her voice, and her style. I knew she’d long ago dumped Ike Turner, but I didn’t know all the particulars. I had heard rumors he abused her, but I remained ignorant of how harrowing her life was until the movie, "What’s Love Got to Do with It” came out.

I still haven’t read, ‘I, Tina’, but I got the gist of the situation from watching the movie. So, of course, by now, most of us know Tina escaped a brutal marriage, walked away with nothing but her name, reinvented herself, and became a huge star. In other words, she personifies the word ‘inspirational’.

But, what about the second half of her life? What has Tina’ life been like since her rise to superstardom and beyond?

This second memoir by Tina Turner, is a not only about her humble beginnings, which she does spend some time on, including the years she spent married to Ike. It’s not just about her rise up from the ashes to meteoric fame, or the many great relationships she has forged over the years, both in her professional life, and in her personal life. It’s about her finding peace and contentment in Switzerland, it’s about finding true love with her second husband, Edwin Bach. This is her real love story. However, Tina also reveals her myriad of health concerns, none of which I was aware of before reading this book.

Tina is so refreshing. Musical memoirs are risky business with me. I often come away wishing I hadn’t read one of these books because the featured artist is so self- absorbed or so out of touch with what is going on in the world, I lose respect. Tina’s story, even the parts we’re familiar with, is a fascinating testament and an inspiration to so many people. Her music stands the test of time and her attitude towards her audience and fans is one I wish more professionals would adopt.

I enjoyed being a part of her shared memories and her success, and hearing about the life she’s forged with Edwin. Her approach is often humorous, at times shy, and maybe even a little embarrassed or chagrined by some of her mistakes, or moments of uncertainty. As with any celebrity memoir, I couldn’t relate to everything Tina is involved with, nor do I agree with all her philosophies.

I also found myself cringing a time or two as she went into more details than I really needed her to when describing her health issues and the various symptoms she had to cope with. But, I did love her tenacity, and the way her husband protects her, helped to keep her spirits up, and went above and beyond for her. I also thought she faced her illnesses with optimistic bravery.

I was happy to hear she is still holding her own, still interested in decorating her home and I love that she’s involved in the musical production about her life which has been very well received. Sadly, though, Tina has endured still more tragedy and I do hope she finds a way to get through it, as she has vowed to do.

Once again, I am struck by how many layers there are to this amazing and talented performer. Watching her amazing metamorphosis over the years, is incredible. She’s earned her right to enjoy retirement and the lovely surroundings of her home and adopted country. I am happy she’s found real and true love and hope she has many more years left to enjoy her time with Edwin and that the musical will be a huge hit on Broadway when it comes to America.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Love Story.

November 11, 2018 – Started Reading
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: memoir
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: atria
November 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

message 1: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* I enjoyed your wonderful review of this very talented and strong woman 🙌💕👏

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "I enjoyed your wonderful review of this very talented and strong woman 🙌💕👏"

Thank you, TQ!! She is a very strong woman and such a great example!! 💖

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS This review sure brought back many memories of watching Tina Turner shake, rattle and roll ;) Awesome review, Julie!! So glad it was a great read!! xoxo 😘❤️😍

Julie KAS wrote: "This review sure brought back many memories of watching Tina Turner shake, rattle and roll ;) Awesome review, Julie!! So glad it was a great read!! xoxo 😘❤️😍"

Thank you, KAS!! She really was larger than life on stage!! 💖

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen A great review for a great artist Julie 🥰

Julie Maureen wrote: "A great review for a great artist Julie 🥰"

Thank you, Maureen!! 💖

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Another wonderful review Julie!🥰

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa So glad this was a 4 🌟 review love Tina😊👍💕

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa So glad this was a 4 🌟 review love Tina😊👍💕

message 10: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie!🤗💕

Julie Nicola wrote: "Another wonderful review Julie!🥰"

Thank you, Nicola!! 😊😊

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!🤗💕"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 💖😊

Julie Lisa wrote: "So glad this was a 4 🌟 review love Tina😊👍💕"

Thank you, Lisa!! Me too!! 🎵🎵

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Terrific review Julie! :)

message 15: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Sandra wrote: "Terrific review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!! 😊😊

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina She's definitely a fascinating woman! Great review Julie!!

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Wonderful review, Julie! I have always admired Tina Turner - I even wrote a song for her to perform once but then I lost courage and didn't send it. :)

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Another awesome review :)

message 21: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I love her music and was horrified by what she endured from Ike Turner. I am glad that she found someone who respects her and that she was able to rebuild her life and art again. She is truly an inspiration. Your review is lovely Julie. I know exactly what you mean about reading about an artist you love, only to come away with less respect for them, because they are just not the person you thought them to be.

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Her lyrics instantly hit my mind upon reading your review! Thank you ;)

message 23: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Julie.

message 24: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, Julie!

message 25: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Tina wrote: "She's definitely a fascinating woman! Great review Julie!!"

Thank you, Tina!! 💖

Julie Carolyn wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you, Carolyn!! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Julie."

Thank you, Angela!! 💖

Julie Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 💖

Julie (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Her lyrics instantly hit my mind upon reading your review! Thank you ;)"

Thank you, Bern!! I can't get 'Simply the Best' out of my head now. 💖

message 31: by Julie (last edited Nov 19, 2018 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julie Beverly wrote: "I love her music and was horrified by what she endured from Ike Turner. I am glad that she found someone who respects her and that she was able to rebuild her life and art again. She is truly an in..."

Thank you, Beverly!! Her life has been marred by tragedy and illness, but she's a real trooper. I think her second husband is the love of her life and yes, he is very good to her, which is great to hear. 💖

Julie Deanna wrote: "Another awesome review :)"

Thank you, Deanna!! 💖

Julie Jaline wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I have always admired Tina Turner - I even wrote a song for her to perform once but then I lost courage and didn't send it. :)"

Thank you, Jaline!! Tina would definitely inspire someone to write music. 💖

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Outstanding review, Julie!

Julie Paula wrote: "Outstanding review, Julie!"

Thank you, Paula!! 💖

message 36: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Impressive review for an impressive lady! I smiled at the beginning, I have all the same memories at just the same time, even about the movie.☺️

Julie Victoria wrote: "Impressive review for an impressive lady! I smiled at the beginning, I have all the same memories at just the same time, even about the movie.☺️"

Thank you, Victoria!! 💖💖

message 38: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Wow, fantastic review Julie!! Love that this memoir has you rooting for Tina! 👍😃💞

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "Wow, fantastic review Julie!! Love that this memoir has you rooting for Tina! 👍😃💞"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! I hope she continues to fight her health battles successfully, and is able to cope with the losses she recently endured. She's a great performer.