Standback's Reviews > The Book of Magic

The Book of Magic by Gardner Dozois

liked it
bookshelves: short-fiction, 2018, hugo2018-reading

All the stories are pleasant and entertaining; most of them are pretty generic and unmemorable. "Powerful magicians" is a pretty hoary trope, and while the authors portray it well, it feels like a good rendition of something I've seen a million times before.

My main takeaway would be not to read this all at once. One story at a time would probably be a welcome entertainment; a bunch of them in sequence felt very tedious to me. (Full disclosure: at some point I started skipping between the stories; I might come back later reporting a gem I'd previously missed.)

My favorites here are:
* "Community Service" by Megan Lindholm, is a pitch-perfect low-key urban fantasy piece
* "The Fall and Rise of the House of the Wizard Malkuril," by Scott Lynch, which combines great humor and sentiment imagining the goings-on in a mighty wizard's estate following his sudden demise
* "The Friends of Masquelayne The Incomparable," by Matthew Hughes, is very much Hughes' regular beat of over-the-top curmudgeonly wizards having wizardly catfights for power and prestige. This one is excellently constructed, and full of Hughes' typical excellent humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Magic.

November 11, 2018 – Started Reading
November 11, 2018 – Shelved
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 11, 2018 –
page 47
8.5% ""I don't know why anyone has a living room when they could have a library instead." -- Megan Lindholm; "Community Service""
November 30, 2018 – Finished Reading