C.G. Drews's Reviews > Wilder Girls

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

bookshelves: read-2019, sci-fi, young-adult

This was sufficiently creepy and I have so so much appreciation for the cover after reading it. Plus the cover is just A+, alright. It is fantastic. 😍I got a lot of Maze Runner x Aurora Rising vibes from it, a bit of Stranger Things thrown in too maybe, and all over it was a fascinating story. The cliffhanger is pretty wild though....is there another coming? I kept waiting for the book to go deeper, flesh things out, but it didn't. So that works if there's a sequel. Otherwise I feel like we only skimmed the surface of Tox and the conspiracies behind the messed up island.

// welcome to Tox; an island corrupted by a disease and the boarding school of girls left there to rot and die
The aesthetic was just incredible and it woven such a chilling and compelling tale. These are just average girls, at boarding school on an island...but it's been 1.5 years since this outbreak of disease and they're in quarantine. They're dying. They're being eaten alive and ripped inside out while the Tox mutates them. Rory has something growing under her eye. Reese has a silver hand. Byatt has a second spine. The forest is wild; the wildlife is feral and rabid. They can't get off the island. They don't know what's killing them and they're waiting for the government to find a cure.

(cue hysterical laughter from everyone who's watched a single sci-fi movie because when does the government!!! ever !!! pull through!!!!)

Like, I said: compelling and chilling. It's violent (I didn't think overly graphic) and the girls are all feral and bitterly competitive as they just try to stay alive. Their school is a wreck. The don't have enough food. Their loved ones keep dying.

// the characters
They're all tooth and claw to survive and I really ached for Hetty. I liked her the best! And I didn't understand Byatt tbh. It was insinuated that "more" was going on with her character, but I'm still confused. Also her chapters really really confused me. (But I think they're meant to?) Reese; I could understand her anger and viciousness...but I'm the kind of soft sandwich that, when someone is violent because they're emotionally hurt, I'm just ಠ_ಠ there's no excuse. Never an excuse.

There isn't much romance, but I did like how Hetty and Reese drew together, and those quick stolen kisses.

What I loved about the characters was how deeply and inexplicably they needed each other. And Hetty kept saying it; like she wasn't just best friends with Byatt. They were PART of each other. All three of the girls were each other's heartbeat; and those kind of complex (sometimes unhealthy and codependant) relationships are fascinating and heartbreaking. That need in them was so well written.

// it leaves you with so so many questions
The eerie setting, the parasitic disease, the vines growing out of people and mutations and hunger and trapped aloneness -- it was incredibly portrayed. You FEEL this book, you do. I don't understand the Tox though and I needed it to go a layer deeper with everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilder Girls.

November 11, 2018 – Shelved
November 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 4, 2019 – Started Reading
August 4, 2019 –
page 34
9.63% "it's reminding me of the Gone series which I loved back in the day (wow I sound old 😂"back in my yOUTH....")"
August 6, 2019 –
page 250
70.82% "I am at the point where I do not have a single clue what is happening in Byatt's chapters 👀but am intrigued"
August 7, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
August 7, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
August 7, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Bree (alibraryforone) Surprisingly it's a standalone. Rory said she might come back to the world again in the future though!

message 2: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Bree (alibraryforone) wrote: "Surprisingly it's a standalone. Rory said she might come back to the world again in the future though!"

😬eep well I'm so confused

Dena (Batch of Books) I got the Aurora Rising vibe from it too!