Paul Darcy's Reviews > Star Wars: Der Gejagte

Star Wars by A.C. Crispin

Jan 09, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction

by A. C. Crispin, published in 1997.

This novel, book two in the Han Solo trilogy, starts off with Han kicked out of the Imperial Navy and hounded by a Wookie. Yes, the Wookie is Chewbacca and Han rescued him from slavery. Slavery imposed on his kind and many other “aliens” by the evil Emperor Palpatine. The Wookie now, Chew-something as Han calls him, owes Han a life debt and doesn’t want to “beat it.” And aren’t we glad he didn’t?

The famous pair are finally united in this second novel and they get themselves into much mischief and mayhem. I don’t know what happened in this second novel but it is so much better paced and written than the first, “The Paradise Snare”, that I’m really glad I stuck it out.

The plot, action and characterizations in this novel are top notch and one great big fun ride - just like the old movies. It deals mostly with the machinations of the Hutts and their dirty dealings with themselves and others. And Han, under Jabba’s employ, gets himself in deep as usual.

This time the Emperor is not fooling around though and the Smuggler’s Moon, located at the edge of Rim space, is targeted to be shut down. All smuggling operations, run by the Hutts, must cease. A very large Imperial strike force is gathering and making ready to crush Smuggler’s Moon and Han has a big decision to make. But of course he chooses the right one.

The last quarter of the book deals with the battle, the strange orders given to the leader fo the Imperial invasion force, and the final twisting of the knives of the Hutts. This is about as exciting as an extended universe novel can get I would guess and A. C. Crispin does a fantastic job.

We get to see or hear about most everybody who is anybody in the Star Wars universe (except Obi, Luke or Leia - haven’t entered Han’s world yet) Lando, Chewbacca, Jabba and for the first time the Millennium Falcon play pretty big roles. I won’t spoil it by telling you who else shows up near the end - but it is a great scene.

Overall I was quite happy with this installment and like I said I’m glad I stuck with it after the first novel. On to the third now with no reservations.

I would give this a 4 out of 5 because it was just pure escapist Star Wars fun at its best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars.

11/04/2016 marked as: read