Abigail's Reviews > Daddy Christmas and Hanukkah Mama

Daddy Christmas and Hanukkah Mama by Selina Alko

liked it
bookshelves: christmas, hanukkah, jewish-children, mixed-families, picture-books
Recommended for: Interfaith Christian/Jewish Families

The daughter of a Jewish mother and Christian father, Sadie gets to experience and enjoy the pleasures of both Christmas and Hanukkah in this holiday picture-book, as her family blends the rituals and observances of their two traditions, in order to create their own unique family celebration. Singing both Christmas and Hanukkah songs, eating traditional foods, from latkes to cookies, and blending decorations meant to commemorate each holiday, Sadie and her parents get the best of both worlds...

A sweet holiday tale that will have appeal for interfaith families that choose to honor both religious traditions, Daddy Christmas and Hanukkah Mama pairs a simple text with colorful artwork, done in acrylic and collage. Although I appreciated the message here, about two faiths coexisting peacefully in the life of one family, I do think that Selina Alko's story will work best for those readers who are secular, and approach the celebration of "their" holiday from a strictly cultural perspective. I suspect that those who consider these holidays religious observances, in addition to cultural and familial ones, might be made uncomfortable by the somewhat topsy-turvy style of holiday mix-and-match, with candy-canes on menorahs, and Hanukkah gelt strewn beneath the Christmas tree. With the proviso that I think it works best for interfaith families where neither side is particularly attached to their faith from a religious perspective, I do recommend this one to those looking for stories that include both Christmas and Hanukkah elements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy Christmas and Hanukkah Mama.

January 8, 2017 – Started Reading