Zaneta @ I'm Fully Booked's Reviews > LIFEL1K3

LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff

it was ok

Here's another example of me reading a completely different book to everyone else.
I mean, Lifel1k3 has glowing reviews from nearly everyone, but I found it... predictable and boring.

The only thing I liked about this story was the idea. If executed differently, written better and developed more, maybe I would've enjoyed it. Instead, I barely made it through...
The world building was close to non existent. We're in a post apocalyptic America which is highly populated by robots, but how and why is not explained. We get tidbits of info here and there, nothing big enough to put together for a coherent image.
The characters were bland and boring. There was no character development, the backstories were boring and the characters themselves very two dimensional. The main protagonist, Eve, or Ana, or Riotgrrrl, was probably one of the most annoying heroines I've read from. There's nothing remotely likeable about her, she's whiney and annoying. Lemon is over exaggerated to be a cool, quirky character. It doesn't seem at all believable. No one else even deserves a mention, because they're not real characters, they're only there as a plot device.
Don't get me started on the instalove. It is one of my most hated tropes in YA, and it is extra painful in this book. The characters have no chemistry whatsover, and maybe, considering the ending, this was done on purpose? If so, it's still dumb. Isn't it better to give people relationships they actually care about?
Lastly, I need to mention the writing. Jay Kristoff has a very specific voice. It's evident throughout his writing. And I usually really enjoy it (Illuminae is still one of my favourite series ever), but here I could barely stomach it. The language is repetitive. A lot of the same things are said over and over again, and the book is only 400 pages long. It tries very hard to be original and create a certain atmosphere, by inventing new words and phrases, but in the end all it accomplished was make me cringe. And it's NOT funny. It tries to be. It wants to be. But it isn't.

First book of the year turned out to be a big disappointment. Hopefully it won't set the tone for the rest of the year.
2/5 stars. I find it hard to identify a demographic to which this book would appeal, hence I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read LIFEL1K3.

November 10, 2018 – Shelved