Cheri's Reviews > The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

bookshelves: arc, publisher-st-martins-press, autism, 2019

!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

Told in alternating timelines, the earlier being set in 1991, and the latter in 2001. At its heart it is a story of love and being accepted as we are.

Annika is a student at the University of Illinois when she meets Jonathan, also a student. It is the first time that Annika has attended school since she was a young girl. Her mother removed her from that environment due to a school-bullying incident, followed by home schooling. Social interaction is difficult for her, it’s easy to feel her discomfort, her awkwardness in social situations, and her reactions to certain situations allow the reader to see her struggles.

As this begins, it is ten years after Jonathan and Annika have gone their separate ways, and then one day while she is shopping, she bumps into Jonathan at the store. As they begin to reconnect on some level, to spend a moment catching up with each other’s lives it stirs up old memories.

This was, for me, a fun, light read – most of the time, but it does have its darker moments. Still, there are times when I am in the mood for a story that does nothing more than entertain me, and this is one of those very readable books that was also unique, and with some very likeable characters. There is something so very disarmingly charming about Annika; her unfiltered view on life was a breath of fresh air, especially in this genre. Besides, how can you not love someone who says: “I like books more than I like most people.”

Pub Date: Apr 2 2019

Many thanks for the ARC provided by St. Martin’s Press

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl He Used to Know.

November 10, 2018 – Shelved
February 16, 2019 – Started Reading
February 16, 2019 –
page 153
February 17, 2019 –
page 291
February 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

Deanna Terrific review!!!

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Cheri. Love that line about books ! If I didn’t have so many ARCs for April I’d add this .

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review, Cheri!

message 4: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Fabulous review, Cheri.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Glad you enjoyed this one Cheri!

Meredith Wonderful review, Cheri! It’s always nice to switch to a lighter change of pace. I enjoyed this one as well!

Cheri Thanks so much, Deanna!

Cheri Angela, I'm sure you'd enjoy this one if you read it, but I know what you mean about having so many pending ARCs! I think I have 4 or 5 ARCs for April I have yet to read. I just finally got through March, and was just approved for one with a Feb 21 pub date!

Cheri Thanks so much, Jen!

Cheri Thank you so much, Esil!

Cheri Thanks, Holly, I enjoyed this one even though I was skeptical going in, but Annika's character really won me over.

Cheri Thanks so much, Meredith, I am glad I read this when I did because the book I officially started reading today is quite a bit heavier! I can only read so many ones about the cruelty in this world!

message 13: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Great review, Cheri! I am definitely going to be looking for lighter fare after I finish my current book.

message 14: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike "Besides, how can you not love someone who says: “I like books more than I like most people.”"

Ain't that the truth!! Lovely Review, Cheri.

message 15: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Great review, Cheri!

Cheri Thank you, Antoinette! The Hunchback, I take it is the one you are talking about. I think this will be a very different read, and I hope you enjoy it if you do read it!

Cheri Thank you so much, Mike!

Cheri Thanks so much, Supratim!

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen I LOVE that line about books 😊 terrific review Cheri!

message 20: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie A great review! Sounds interesting but my pile is too huge!

Cheri Thanks so much, Karen!

Cheri Thank you, Debbie! I understand!

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin You sold me with the quote you shared at the end, Cheri. *nodding enthusiastically* Great review, friend!

message 24: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Wonderful review Cheri! I love the quote at the end! This one is on my list!

Cheri Thank you so much, Robin. I hope you love this, it's a great choice when you're in the mood for something light, but not syrupy sweet! Enjoy, my friend!

Cheri Kaceey, I think you will love this, you may even love it more than I did, but Annika is such a wonderfully drawn character. I was definitely charmed by the love of books!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Fabulous review Cheri! It’s nice to have an entertaining, fun, lighter read now and then! 💗

message 28: by KAS (new) - rated it 4 stars

KAS Glad you enjoyed as much as I did, Cheri ;) Terrific review!!

Cheri Thank you so much, Lindsay! This really was entertaining and light, but with a nice message about accepting the differences between us all.

Cheri Thanks so much, KAS, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, too!

Brandice Great review, Cheri! I absolutely loved this story and am glad to see you enjoyed it too! :)

message 32: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Wonderful review, Cheri 💖 I like the worst books more than the best people 😕

Cheri Thank you so much, Brandice! I enjoyed this one so much, and I'm glad that you loved it!

Cheri Felicia, I love that!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Cheri! I’m just starting this one and your review has me even more excited.

Cheri Jennifer, this wasn't love at first page for me, but I really enjoyed this one so much more than I had expected! I expect you will love this!

Elyse Walters This sounds totally enjoyable. I’m going to market because I like books like this myself.
Thanks. XO

message 38: by Janet C-B (new) - added it

Janet C-B Great review. I agree that sometimes a light book hits the spot.

Diane S ☔ Awesome review, Cheri. Reading this now and am enjoying.

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise Wilson Super review, Cheri!!

Cheri Thanks so much, Louise!

PorshaJo Great review Cheri! Glad you liked it. I'm in the middle of this one now and really enjoying it.

Cheri Thanks so much, PorshaJo! I'm so happy to hear you're really enjoying it - I hadn't expected to, and it was just one of those books that I found to be unputdownable!