C.G. Drews's Reviews > Sea Witch

Sea Witch by Sarah Henning

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult, retelling

This story just shoved me off the edge of Plot Twist cliff and I'm still falling tbh. It was thoroughly not what I expected and the beginning had me slowly drowning...but that ending. THAT ENDING. The plot twists! The vengeance! The magic! The stabbing! It was so freaking good!

→ I do admit I chaffed at the beginning.
Like I went in expecting a sea witch origin story, but we get Evie, who is the actual sweetest Hufflepuff witch...she's a mistrusted outcast, but also BFF with the crown prince. (They're just friiiiends tho...yes. I have heard that one before.) And then the story unravelled this slow romance-centric plot, where mostly they just talked and participated in a festival and had a love-square that was very polite.

....then things went down.

→ Obviously I won't spoil the ending but OMG and YES.
Seriously the last 100 pages were epic and I wish the beginning had captivated me as much, but at the same time?? I understand it had to build up to it? I just was a little bored lmao I am so sorry.

Love square? Do I see thee?
Basically we have four main characters: Evie (fisherman's daughter and nobody and secret witch) and Nik (crown prince and BFF of Evie) and Iver (Nik's cousin, also a prince, somehow a whaler?? but apparently a player), and lastly Annamette who is a mermaid turned human and must win Nik's love or pERISH...she also resembles their dead friend Anna who drowned 4 years ago, but Annamette is a mermaid.

Like dude, I ship them all with each other though. Except the princes, they are cousins. But Evie/Anna had an epic "hey if the prince things doesn't work I'LL DO ANYTHING TO SAVE YOU" thing going on that was amazing. And Nik/Evie are like "yeah we're just friends" (me @ laughing hysterically in the background) while Iver/Evie are kissing in the garden and she's swooning for him. Usually love square irritate me, but I really enjoyed this one. It had TWISTS too, which was epic. Although Nik was about as dynamic as pebble, but he was a sweetie?? And Iver (view spoiler).

So basically plot twists GALORE and a fascinating cast! Even though the beginning really didn't do anything for me. I'm just so pleased by the direction it turned mwhahaha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Witch.

November 9, 2018 – Started Reading
November 9, 2018 – Shelved
November 9, 2018 –
page 124
33.7% "Two prince cousins, a mermaid, and a witch → this is a total love square and tbh they should all just kiss. except the princes since they're related. but like otherwise...they're all so frikkin in love with each other afsdjakl"
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: retelling
November 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* The last time I saw a love square was in An Ember in the Ashes and I Did. Not. Like It. However, this one definitely has my attention!

Aala I agree the beginning was slow. The ending left me speechless.