Simone's Reviews > Sawkill Girls

Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand

1581928

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, fantasy, magical-realism, science-fiction, ya-novels

Ok let’s get into Sawkill Girls. I picked up this one for my online book club @monstersandstrangeworlds. I was a little hesitant because I tried reading Furyborn a few months back and it wasn’t that good to me. I was so lost and confused and when you’re working with a fantasy book and creating a whole new world, you need those fine details to understand what’s going on.

But Sawkill Girls takes place in the real world with magical and scary elements. Trigger warning: this book has some pretty gore-y bits so I would take caution if you are squeamish or don’t like blood or death.

I can see Claire Legrand uses the same writing style that she used for Furyborn, but it actually works in this scenario. There’s a lot the author kind of infers and you just have to go along with it. Oh, didn’t know that this library was off-limits. I don’t recall her mentioning that in the beginning. Things were tended to be explained the moment it happens. A lot of it was just shrouded in mystery in a way that was almost annoying. Omg we know something bad is happening so why don’t we explain it already.

Eventually Claire Legrand does explain but it’s almost a last minute thing. It’s within the last 100 pages of the book and also when everything is revealed almost running at you as it’s happening.

I would have really liked to have this all play out slowly throughout the story. Not just clues and nudges and winks but info on The Collector right towards the beginning of the book and then a plan of attack by the girls.

The story is told through three specific characters; Val, Zoey, and Marion. Val is the popular girl with all the money. She’s beautiful and blonde and something about her is mysterious in that way too. Zoey is the police chief’s daughter who is mourning her friend’s disappearance. Zoey is 100% convinced Val had something to do with it. Marion is the new girl on the island. She arrives in the beginning of the book with her sister and mother to work for Val’s family. Each girl contributes something different to the group and they all start off as either acquaintances or frenemies. These girls were not kind to each other at first.

There’s a lot of character development with these three girls. I really loved these characters the most in the story. Val has a deep dark secret that keeps her from being herself. Marion is mourning her father’s death but also having these strange experiences with moths and voices haunting her. Zoey is convinced Val is the problem and snoops around to find the truth of her friend and the other missing girls of Sawkill. Throughout the story, you see these girls change. You see how they come together and bond a little. They work together to defeat a common enemy.

I absolutely loved the girl power in this book. Girls who’ve lost too many loved ones coming together to fight against the common enemy. Girls who are run by the overbearing boot of the men in their lives.

The best part was the diversity. There were people of color. There were lgbtq+ themes. There was camaraderie and girl on girl hate. It was very well themed to girls and women and their extraordinary strength and resilience. I ate it up with a spoon.

The plot itself was addictive. I was shocked that this book was over 400 pages, but it flew by. The writing is pretty easy to read and it’s not overwrought with too many words that make you punch someone in the face.

I really liked the story. In hindsight, I would have borrowed this from the library. It was good but I wasn’t addicted to it. I could live without the book on my shelf.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sawkill Girls.

November 9, 2018 – Started Reading