Masha Toit's Reviews > The Sex Club

The Sex Club by L.J. Sellers

Jan 09, 2012

Read from January 01 to 03, 2012 — I own a copy

This was a great read. I was sucked into the story and did not see the twist coming at all. The conclusion was satisfying and interesting. I cared about the characters from the very beginning, they are created with compassion.

This book reminded me a lot of some of the early Sarah Paretsky books; a mystery set in present day USA that deals with some uncomfortable social issues - in this case, teen sexuality and the pro-life movement. It made me think about the issues and question some of my own beliefs.

Kera is a nurse who works at a family planning clinic. She becomes aware that some of her young clients - a group of 13 year old girls - are sexually active. One of them starts asking her advice that makes it clear that she may be in a situation that is more than she can handle.

At the same time, the clinic itself is under threat. A pro-life activist manages to detonate a pipe-bomb, killing one client and injuring Kera.

As the story unfolds, Kera and Detective Jackson have to make some difficult decisions. How important is a young girl's privacy when weighed against the need to find a murderer? Is a thirteen year old girl adult enough to have a sexual relationship? What happens when a parent's beliefs about religion, sex and guilt impact on their children?

I'm certainly going to be reading more by L J Sellers! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sex Club.