Kathy - Books & Munches's Reviews > A Pack of Blood and Lies

A Pack of Blood and Lies by Olivia Wildenstein

bookshelves: arc-s

Werewolves! Teenage me starting dancing the moment I found out because those are and always will be one of my weaknesses in books - that and vampires because doh. In any case, the werewolves weren't overly present but they didn't have to be. I loved the way they were there and part of the plot without being all-important.

Speaking of plot.. There was a lot going on! Several sub-plots mixing with the general one to the point of me losing track of everything at some point. Although I have to say.. I quite liked that? It made things more unpredictable than they would've been otherwise. There was also a vague-ish love-triangle like thing going on but.. I still don't really get what that was all about. So of course that makes me overly curious and I need the sequel already, haha.

Definitely a shout-out to our main character, Ness, coming up for female rights. As the sole female werewolf in her pack-but-not-pack, she fights to officially join. Seeing how she puts that much effort in, while most male members are against it, is truly admirable. So, yup, a splurge of feminism right there!

There are only two small things I'd love to see differently. One is the more action-packed scenes feeling a bit all over the place at times. Although I can admit that might be me and my mom-brain, I do think you should be able to picture those scenes in your head without them not feeling right, you know?
The second one is how I didn't really like the main character, Ness. I connected with her at first, but at some point I lost that connection due to her somewhat losing her.. motivations for doing certain things? I don't know. Felt to me like she started making decisions based off of nothing which was weird. It's hard to explain, really..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pack of Blood and Lies.

November 9, 2018 – Shelved