Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Life and Other Inconveniences

Life and Other Inconveniences by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: 2019, arc, favorite-authors, netgalley, prhpartner, publisher, women-s-fiction

3.5

Kristan Higgins is my favorite author. I own all of her books in digital, paperback and hardcover forms. I think she's an amazing writer and she seems to be an awesome human being too.

When I received a copy of Life and Other Inconveniences, I was ecstatic! As a book lover, nothing feels as great as getting a book by your favorite author. Then, something happened. I didn't want to read it. Why? because she writes a book a year and if I started it too soon, I was going to have to wait a long time for her next one. Finally, this weekend, I couldn't postpone it any longer. So I prepared for my weekend. I asked my husband to take care of the puppies, breakfast and household chores while I took the morning off to read. No interruptions, no breaks.

Life and Other Inconveniences is narrated in multiple points of views. The main three characters are:

Emma, a single mother who has abandonment issues. When she was very little, her mother committed suicide and her father Clark, left her with her grandmother and never looked back. When Emma meets the first boy/man who shows her some love, she dates him for three years and just before she graduates high school, she learns she's pregnant. Her grandmother, Genevieve is not happy and pretty much kicks her out. Emma goes to live with her maternal grandfather. Years later, she's starting her career as a psychologist and her daughter, Riley is a teenager.

Genevieve London had a perfect marriage. She loved her husband, Garrison with all of her heart. She also had two boys, Sheppard and Clark. She loved Sheppard, her oldest and when he goes missing at a very young age, she loses part of her heart. Then, Garrison dies too and when he dies, Genevieve loses the ability to love. She's never the mother that she should be to Clark (her youngest son) and when years later, he delivers his daughter, Emma to her doorstep, she thinks this is her chance to make amends. Yet, When Emma gets pregnant, she can't be flexible.

Last, we have Riley. Emma's daughter and Genevieve's granddaughter. A smart young woman with a good heart. Riley's having problems at school and when Genevieve's invitation to spend the summer with her is given, Emma and Riley agree it could be a good time to leave town.

Life and Other Inconveniences felt different than her prior novels. I had a hard time concentrating on the story. I felt there was too much inner dialogue by Emma and Genevieve. I missed the humor I've come to expect from KH. I missed the embarrassing moments, I've come to feel for the characters. I missed the romance, I've come to adore .

I like to clarify that ANY time there was a dialogue, I was 100% immersed in it. Even though, the dialogue was so scattered, when it was there, I craved it.

These are my opinions but I hope this doesn't deter you from reading this book.

Cliffhanger: No

3.5/5Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Berkley via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life and Other Inconveniences.

November 9, 2018 – Shelved
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: prhpartner
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: publisher
May 22, 2019 – Shelved as: women-s-fiction

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Sheyla ✎ Melissa wrote: "Can’t wait to hear what you think!"
I'll text you as soon as I'm done :)

message 3: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Warner Fairbanks I can't wait to hear what you think of this. I saw a alternate cover for it today from her newsletter. I love her books and look forward to reading this one too.

Sheyla ✎ Madison wrote: "I can't wait to hear what you think of this. I saw a alternate cover for it today from her newsletter. I love her books and look forward to reading this one too."
I know, the cute dog cover was amazing! I love her books too, Madison. She's my favorite author.

message 5: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Ohhh I'm super excited for this one! I hope you love it!!

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "Ohhh I'm super excited for this one! I hope you love it!!"

I'm so excited ,...I had the book for a while but I'm having a hard time starting it. If I do, I won't be able to read anything by her for the next year. She's my favorite author.

❤️ Paulette Enjoy L💕ve ツ😘

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: "Enjoy L💕ve ツ😘"
Thank you, Paulette!

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: "Enjoy L💕ve ツ😘"

Thank you, Paulette!"

❥Always Pleasure L💕ve ツ

message 10: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I know what you mean! :) I was holding it earlier trying to decide whether or not to start it. I really hope you enjoy <3 xo

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "I know what you mean! :) I was holding it earlier trying to decide whether or not to start it. I really hope you enjoy <3 xo"
Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I postponed it for a while.

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Sheyla. This is on my list!

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "Great review Sheyla. This is on my list!"
Thank you, Holly!

message 14: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Excessive inner dialogue is a peeve of mine. They can't all be winners 😕

Sheyla ✎ Felicia wrote: "Excessive inner dialogue is a peeve of mine. They can't all be winners 😕"
I agree. I want to know what my characters are thinking but I want to see them interacting with others too.

message 16: by Yun (new)

Yun Great review, Sheyla! I can't believe I haven't read anything by Kristan Higgins yet... I need to change that. :)

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! I can't believe I haven't read anything by Kristan Higgins yet... I need to change that. :)"
OMGosh, Yun. You must. I love her books!!