Sammet's Reviews > The Gravedigger's Daughter

The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates

Jan 09, 2012

liked it
Read from January 09 to February 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** An enjoyable, but slow book. This was my first bout with Joyce Carol Oates, and judging by her renowned status as a writer, I doubt it will be my last.

There was a lot of anger, hurt and misogyny throughout the first, bigger half of the book. The latter part was more dominated by success through ones kids, pretending to be someone you're not and definitely not try to process the earlier events. And how I really wished for Rebecca to grow stronger through her experiences and stop hiding behind them!

+ The entire book started with the "HAZEL JONES ARE YOU HAZEL JONES" thing, which indicated that it would be something major. But it wasn't, was it? In the end, we got to know that he was a serial killer, but that was everything. No. Parts of this book (including the ending!) just seems to haphazard that, despite being a thrill every now and then - and beautifully written - it's somehow also disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gravedigger's Daughter.

01/14/2012 page 102
18.0% "Really enjoying the beginning of the book."
show 7 hidden updates…