Tania's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

Jan 09, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: 1-star-no-star
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012

I don't get what's so great about this book. I found it boring, the characters are meh and tbh how Wynne Jones draws out a storyline over 200 pages when they could cover 100 is completely pointless, and did I mention, boring.

I was interested in the introduction of Sophie and her sisters, but then the Witch of the Waste turns Sophie into a 90-year old lady and it just becomes boring. She joins Howl's Moving Castle and become a "cleaner" there after making a contract with the fire demon that powers the castle, Calcifer. And then, nothing interesting happens for ages - just descriptions of the castle, some banal talk and Howl himself who is just one big drama queen.

Seriously, one of the worst popular books I have ever read. It was just dull. I have no comprehension for the fans of this novel - nothing appeals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.

02/23/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark Ouch....seriously though come on get off the fence. Tell us what you really think. Haha.. Great review

message 16: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Aww. I've not read the book but I really like the Studio Ghibli film.

Katherine I have no possible idea how you managed to think ANY of this book was 'boring', the characters were most definitely not 'meh'. And loads of interesting stuff does happen if you read the book properly. But if you honestly think this book was 'dull', you've got a right to express your opinion, and more power to you. But I'll probably be fuming for the next hour or so.

message 14: by Tania (new) - rated it 1 star

Tania Katherine, it's obviously not my intention to piss anyone off, I was just giving my honest opinion of the story. However, how does one read a book "properly"?

Jennie I'm with you on this one: there was absolutely nothing that compelled me to finish this book. I really wanted to like it, but...

Alison M I think alot of the appeal of the book is in thier day to day lives at the castle, as opposed to an action packed plot. I think that went over better in the movie, since movies are generally more compact. I love this book, but it's cool to hear different opinions.

message 11: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max sucks that you can't enjoy a book because the protagonist is old. btw nice username

message 10: by Tania (new) - rated it 1 star

Tania That's not what I meant, I mean that when she becomes 90 the turn the story gives is not to my liking. Nothing to do with the protagonist being old, although I can see why you'd read it that way. And thanks.

Karen don't you find the book funny at all?

Amai I'm wondering, did you actually finish the book? Because a big part of DWJ's style is to drop small hints along the way and then at the very end, bang, everything comes together and you realize the importance of all the small, "boring" details. So, just basically curious. :)

Tania Must admit that I didn't. if I'm incredibly bored with a book, I just can't finish it, because I have no urge to. I guess I should give it a second chance.

message 6: by Amai (last edited Jan 10, 2013 09:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amai I'm a big fan of Diana's and trust me, ever time I start with one of her books I find myself thinking "oh god, I'm gonna fall asleep any second now, what is she even writing about" – but the endings make up for it. I've heard many other Diana-fans I know complain about the same, no kidding. She was never that "fashionable", really, and her plot structures and the pace of her storylines are highly unconventional like that...

But I highly recommend that if you ever run out of things to read, try giving it a second chance because who knows, the second half might even take you by surprise. The pace really picks up after a certain point. Even if you end up still not liking it, I think it's interesting from a literary point of view because the way she builds up and releases the tension is very unusual.

Tania I'll take your word for it and give it a second go.

Ana Beatriz I must say I agree with Amai, her books are really slow at the beggining, but I think that if Diana were to write them on a rush the stoty would loose a lot of it's elegance. I recomend you to give a try to some of the following books of her, "Castle in the air" and "House of many ways" as they have lovely surprises at the end.

message 3: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira I know I'm commenting a bit late, but I was so relieved to find another one star review. Looking at all the rave reviews, I started to wonder what was wrong with the world. For those telling you to read it to the end... don't bother. The end was hasty, made very little sense, and made me throw up my hands and bemoan the complete waste of my time that this book was. You are completely right: Meh characters, long, boring storyline, and a stupid ending that does nothing to vindicate the book as a whole. Also, I too have to question... How does one read a book "properly"? Also, I'm a fan of odd fiction. Valente's Fairyland books are some of my absolute favorites. This book was simply awful.

message 2: by Jody (new) - rated it 1 star

Jody I'm about two thirds of the way through now and feeling the same way. I've not seriously considered abandoning a book for some years, but this one is testing me.

Gülçin Your comment is a perfect reflection of my thoughts on the book. I totally agree with you! such a pointless and tasteless book it is!