Susanne Strong's Reviews > The Escape Room

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

bookshelves: buddy-read, direct-from-publisher

4 Stars.

At Stanhope, it’s a Dog Eat Dog World. Here’s hoping you come out of it alive!

Being trapped on an elevator sounds bad on any given day, am I right?

Imagine however being trapped in an elevator with three colleagues in what your boss calls a team building exercise known as “The Escape Room.”

The elevator is pitch black and the temperature is boiling hot to start. Think: Bikram Yoga (my favorite!).
Then it’s like you are in the Arctic circle. Unfortunately, you don’t like your colleagues enough to snuggle.

As questions and riddles are posed, you realize, this is no ordinary escape room.

All of you work at Stanhope, where the starting salary for an Analyst is $130,000 and the hours top more than 90 a week. Bonuses are in the thousands. It’s a dream job.. Really.. It’s also cut throat. And I mean, exactly that.

The characters in “The Escape Room” are dark and vicious and have absolutely no redeeming qualities and yet I was glued to the book like nothing else existed. The writing is smooth, simple and it reeled me in like a fish on a hook! This novel is exactly what you want in a thriller - fantastic characters, intertwining storylines that tie together nicely and crazy suspense. If you are looking for your next read, look no further, “The Escape Room” is IT.

This was a fabulous buddy read with Kaceey! It kept us entertained throughout and was just what we needed.

Thank you to Jordan Hanley at St. Martin’s Press and to Megan Goldin for an arc of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on Goodreads on 6.2.19.
Will be published on Twitter and Amazon on 7.30.19.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Escape Room.

November 8, 2018 – Shelved
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 25, 2019 – Started Reading
May 25, 2019 – Shelved as: direct-from-publisher
May 25, 2019 – Shelved as: buddy-read
May 25, 2019 –
page 153
May 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Susanne! This was such a fun read! Glad we read this one together!💕

Susanne  Strong Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Susanne! This was such a fun read! Glad we read this one together!💕"

My favorite reads are with you! :)

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Susanne! 💕

message 4: by KAS (new)

KAS This sounds fabulous, Susanne, and your excellent review sold me to definitely add!! Glad you were hooked like a fish!! 😄

Holly  B This was such a great book!! So glad you both enjoyed too 💕💕

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :) Wonderful review! I have this one probably coming up next, great to see your 4 stars as I've had a lot of mediocre books lately :)

message 7: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Susanne! Glad you enjoyed this too!

NZLisaM Sounds like a good one, Susanne. I would be alright with the cold, but I hate the heat, you would never catch me attending hot yoga in a million years.

Susanne  Strong Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Susanne! 💕"

Thanks so much Maureen!

Susanne  Strong KAS wrote: "This sounds fabulous, Susanne, and your excellent review sold me to definitely add!! Glad you were hooked like a fish!! 😄"

So so happy to hear that KAS! This book is SO good. :)

Susanne  Strong Holly wrote: "This was such a great book!! So glad you both enjoyed too 💕💕"

I am ecstatic to hear that you felt the same way Holly! Woo hoo. ;)

Susanne  Strong Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Wonderful review! I have this one probably coming up next, great to see your 4 stars as I've had a lot of mediocre books lately :)"

I know that YOU will like this one Dorie! I can't wait for you to read it. Will be anxiously awaiting your thoughts. Can you move it up the list? LOL!

Susanne  Strong Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Susanne! Glad you enjoyed this too!"

Thanks Meredith!

Susanne  Strong NZLisaM wrote: "Sounds like a good one, Susanne. I would be alright with the cold, but I hate the heat, you would never catch me attending hot yoga in a million years."

I LOVE Bikram Lisa. It is one of my most favorite activities. I hate the cold. Brr.! That said, I do think you would like this book regardless of that! :)

message 15: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Great review Susanne! Sounds like a bizarre fascinating experiment. Ha! Glad that you and Kaceey liked this one!

message 16: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Fabulous review! You and Kaceey are tempting me to add this, even though it did not initially appeal to me..🤔

Susanne  Strong PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Susanne! Sounds like a bizarre fascinating experiment. Ha! Glad that you and Kaceey liked this one!"

It was SO good PorshaJo! Highly entertaining!

Susanne  Strong Jayme wrote: "Fabulous review! You and Kaceey are tempting me to add this, even though it did not initially appeal to me..🤔"

Jayme!! I think you would LOVE this! Was so good. It is utterly compelling! Add it, pretty please! :)

Stephanie ((Strazzybooks)) I couldn’t put this one down! Glad to see you enjoyed it too.

message 20: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy It sounds really good, adding! Terrific review Susanne!! 💞🌸

Susanne  Strong Stephanie ((Strazzybooks)) wrote: "I couldn’t put this one down! Glad to see you enjoyed it too."

Glad to hear it Stephanie! It was addictive!

Susanne  Strong Tammy wrote: "It sounds really good, adding! Terrific review Susanne!! 💞🌸"

Yippee Tammy! Can't wait for your review!

message 23: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Susanne! Glad you both enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to reading this, sometime. Sounds really good!

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie I passed on this one. Now I wish I'd given it a try. Will check the library! Glad you enjoyed!! 😊

Nazanin Amazing review, Susanne! Glad you guys had fun reading this! 💜

Susanne  Strong RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Susanne! Glad you both enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to reading this, sometime. Sounds really good!"

Whoop! SO SO glad that you are adding it RD! You will like it, I'm sure of it! :)

Susanne  Strong Julie wrote: "I passed on this one. Now I wish I'd given it a try. Will check the library! Glad you enjoyed!! 😊"

Oh darn Julie! I think you would definitely like this one. It is so gripping. Hope your library has a copy!

Susanne  Strong Nazanin wrote: "Amazing review, Susanne! Glad you guys had fun reading this! 💜"

Thanks so much Nazanin! So good!

message 29: by Bren (new) - added it

Bren Oh wow Suzanne awesome review. This looks great! I have put it on my list to read.

message 30: by Richard (new)

Richard I love the sound of this thriller ....... definitely one for the list. Loved your review Susanne!

Babydimps (Suzy) Terrific review Susanne! Just the thought of being stuck in an elevator is terrifying. I can’t imagine adding the stress of a game to that situation. Yikes! Glad you liked it! 😊

Dorie  - Traveling Sister :) Starting this tonight :)

message 33: by Bren (new) - added it

Bren I have to read this soon.

message 34: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Superb review, Susanne! Sounds . . . chilling! 😊

message 35: by Bren (new) - added it

Bren Will be starting it over the weekend hopefully.

message 36: by JanB (new)

JanB That sounds like the escape room from hell....I have a 2 degree window of temperature comfort level...lol. Fabulous review Susanne!

message 37: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Susanne. You know me and thrillers, so not one I’ll read.

Susanne  Strong Bren wrote: "Oh wow Suzanne awesome review. This looks great! I have put it on my list to read."

Yeah! So glad its now on your tbr Bren!

Susanne  Strong Richard wrote: "I love the sound of this thriller ....... definitely one for the list. Loved your review Susanne!"

I think you will like this based on your read list Richard! Will be watching for your thoughts!

Susanne  Strong Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Terrific review Susanne! Just the thought of being stuck in an elevator is terrifying. I can’t imagine adding the stress of a game to that situation. Yikes! Glad you liked it! 😊"

Right Suzy! I was stuck once with a co-worker when I worked in St. Louis in the 90's for like 10 minutes, it was in fact torture! Eek.

Susanne  Strong Dorie - Traveling Sister :) wrote: "Starting this tonight :)"

YIPPEE Dorie. I think you will like it!! I will be stalking (ha ha) your page now.

message 42: by Susanne (last edited Jun 04, 2019 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susanne  Strong Bren wrote: "Will be starting it over the weekend hopefully."

Bren wrote: "I have to read this soon."

SO glad Bren! Can't wait for you to.

Susanne  Strong Jaline wrote: "Superb review, Susanne! Sounds . . . chilling! 😊"

Thanks so much Jaline

Susanne  Strong JanB wrote: "That sounds like the escape room from hell....I have a 2 degree window of temperature comfort level...lol. Fabulous review Susanne!"

Baaah Jan! I love my Bikram. Guess you'd never join me for a class? :( Now I'm sad. LOL.

Susanne  Strong Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Susanne. You know me and thrillers, so not one I’ll read."

Thanks so much Angela! One of these days, maybe I'll convince you.. then again, maybe not!

message 46: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Nice! So happy to see how much you enjoyed this, Susanne! Terrific review! 🧡

Susanne  Strong Michelle wrote: "Nice! So happy to see how much you enjoyed this, Susanne! Terrific review! 🧡"

Thanks so much Michelle! It was really good!

message 48: by JanB (new)

JanB Susanne wrote: "JanB wrote: "That sounds like the escape room from hell....I have a 2 degree window of temperature comfort level...lol. Fabulous review Susanne!"

Baaah Jan! I love my Bikram. Guess you'd never joi..."

Susanne, that would be a hard no - I HATE to sweat! lol

message 49: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Great review, Susanne.

message 50: by Holly (new)

Holly I think I would make that job literally cut throat in that elevator. :D