blub's Reviews > Claustrophilia

Claustrophilia by Ezra Blake

This book was a hard one to rate since it's such a dark read involving a lot of murder, rape, cannibalism, extreme torture, and Stockholm syndrome (not in this exact order). It's not something I would recommend to someone who can't handle grotesque gory depiction of the mutation of the human body and acts that are committed after one's death. I've given it four stars because of how detailed the scenario were and because of the few POV there were from the character not necessarily because of the story. The story for me was 3 stars.

I watch a lot of horror movies and crime shows and this one was verging more on snuff film territory (some may think it is, you can check out Elsa's story in American Horror Story: Freak Show to get a taste of what happens in this book). I read this for two nights before I went to sleep and I didn't send chills down my spine. To summarize:

Christopher Dour’s is a adult learner and a pathologist who is assigned to the Providence Butcher case. At school he at first doesn't like one of his professor's turned academic adviser, Ivan Skinner, but after seeing a drawing in the Professor Skinner's desk the two find they have something in common. Days after Chris's suicide attempt he finds himself waking up in a very confined space. It appears the Providence Butcher may have kidnapped him and has quite a treat in store for him.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters, getting into their mind and seeing how much they change. This is the first book I've read involving a necrophiliac and serial killer. It was nice that the author brought in the horror in 100+ page increments per chapter/parts and with each chapter it got more gruesome to read. I liked that the Butcher brought out some of inhibitions that Chris had about murder and embracing his love of the corpses that came his way. The thing with Christophe will be one I won't be able to forget. I liked that there was a HFN ending.

A free copy was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claustrophilia.

Started Reading