Elaine Tomasso's Reviews > In Safe Hands

In Safe Hands by J.P. Carter

F 50x66

I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for an advance copy of In Safe Hands, the first novel in a projected series to feature DCI Anna Tate of The Met.

Anna’s usual day of overwork and under resource is interrupted by a kidnap. Three masked men have kidnapped nine children from a South London nursery but with no idea of motive Anna, as SIO, cannot afford to dismiss any possibility.

I thoroughly enjoyed In Safe Hands which is a fast paced thriller with several unexpected twists and turns. The novel is told from two main points of view, Anna and Ruth, one of the parents. This not my favourite approach but in this case it works extremely well, giving the reader a good insight into the impact of the kidnap on both the investigation and the parents who are left worrying and not knowing. The reader gets a real sense of the urgency of the investigation and the terror and helplessness of the parents. I like the way Anna and her team start with no idea and through dedication, hard work and technology begin to build up a picture of the perpetrators.

I was less convinced by Anna’s history which looks to become a running theme throughout the series. 10 years ago Anna’s ex husband kidnapped their two year old daughter, Chloe, never to be seen again and Anna is still searching for her. The developments that occur in the novel are bombshells but seem rather unlikely. Otherwise she is a smart, effective detective with a likeable personality.

In Safe Hands is a good read which I have no hesitation in recommending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Safe Hands.

November 8, 2018 – Shelved
November 9, 2018 – Started Reading
November 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Miriam (new) - added it