Chris Huff's Reviews > The Furious Longing of God

The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning

Brennan Manning himself acknowledges this: if you've read one of his books, you've read them all. But that's not to say that they aren't worth reading. This is a book to read with a highlighter in hand. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

"I'm a sinner, saved by grace. That is the larger and more important story. Only God, in His fury, knows the whole of it."

"The seldom-stated truth is that many of us have a longing for God, and an aversion to God. Some of us seek Him and flee Him at the same time."

"If you took the love of all the best mothers and fathers who have lived in the course of human history, all their goodness, kindness, patience, fidelity, wisdom, strength, and love and united all those qualities in a single person, that person's love would only be a faint shadow of the furious love and mercy in the heart of God the Father addressed to you and me at this moment."

"I've decided that if I had my life to live over again, I would not only climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets; I wouldn't only jettison my hot water bottle, raincoat, umbrella, parachute, and raft; I would not only go barefoot earlier in the spring and stay out later in the fall; but I would devote not one more minute to monitoring my spiritual growth. No, not one."

"What would I actually do if I had it to do all over again? ... I would simply do the next thing in love."

"How is it then that we've come to imagine that Christianity consists primarily in what we do for God?"

"Perhaps the gut issue is not how much theology we have studied or how much Scripture we have memorized. All that really matters is this: Have you experienced the furious longing of God or not?"

And finally, quoting Augustine, Brennan wrote, "In loving me, you made me lovable."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Furious Longing of God.

November 8, 2018 – Shelved