Carrie's Reviews > The Escape Room

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

bookshelves: netgalley

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin is one of those thrillers that opens with a prologue completely exposing the ending of the book. We know as readers right away that an elevator is going to open and reveal a complete bloodbath so the question becomes how things got to that point. Now I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve heard of folks that peek at the endings of books before they even begin and I think to myself are you nuts, why spoil the whole book?? Then I pick up a story like The Escape Room and somehow that peeking doesn’t seem as strange as it once did. Instead of completely losing interest now that I know the end I found myself even more curious.

The Escape Room has two very different stories being told simultaneously once you get past the prologue that both take the reader back to two different points in time. One story is of those that walked into that elevator shortly before showing who those characters are and how they got to that point. The other story line takes readers back several years and is told from the point of view of a past co-worker to our doomed elevator crew. Each of these prospectives lead readers to the facts that led to that horrific discovery in their own ways.

Something in the way this story is penned really says something about human nature and the obvious curiosity that comes to the surface when it comes to horrible events. I challenge anyone out there to truly and honestly admit if they’ve come across an accident that they didn’t look and wonder about what happened, we all do it. With the growing popularity of escape rooms and the creepiness of an out of commission elevator the author came up with just the scenario that I couldn’t look away from and found myself flying through this one looking for those hows and whys. Definitely one I’d recommend checking out!

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Escape Room.

November 8, 2018 – Shelved