CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Sadie

Sadie by Courtney Summers

An intense, heartbreaking book. Sadie is a 19-year-old with nothing left to lose after the murder of her younger sister Mattie, who she was raising after their mom left. The book alternates between Sadie's story of going after the murderer and the transcript of a true crime podcast about the girls. It's a riveting story, excellently told in Summers's restrained, pitch perfect writing. Strong content warning for childhood sexual abuse, although this is not included in a gratuitous or exploitative way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sadie.

November 8, 2018 – Shelved
January 9, 2019 – Started Reading
January 9, 2019 – Shelved as: canadian
January 9, 2019 – Shelved as: to-review-for-canlesbrarian
page 101
32.48% ""I never know what to do with girls. Pretty girls. I want them to like me. It's a strange, almost visceral *need* that settles itself inside and it makes me feel stupid and weak because I know it's a fault line I can trace all the way back to my mother." So gay, and so heartbreaking."
page 101
32.48% ""May Beth always told me I can't do that; I can't hate people for having more than me, but she's wrong. I can. I do. It's the perfect wall between myself and the kind of longing that poisons your guts and turns your insides right out." 😢"
page 102
32.8% ""Thirteen, Mattie. I kept you alive for thirteen years. Waking her up in the morning, making her meals, walking her to the school bus ... grinding my bones to dust just to keep us holding on and when I lay it out like that, I don't know how I did it. I don't know where, underneath it all, you'd find my body. I'd do it all again and again for eternity if I had to. I don't know why that's not enough to bring her back.""
January 12, 2019 – Finished Reading