Roni Laukkarinen's Reviews > It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work

It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work by Jason Fried

liked it
bookshelves: business, e-book, entrepreneurship, nonfiction, self-help, reviewed

I love the idea. I love the company. First half of the book was a blast and I knew I was doing things right, because just nodded my head while reading. Then I noticed there really isn't that much actual tips for me as an entrepreneur. Perhaps, because I'm used to be "anarchist" when it comes to running a company. We do many things exactly like Basecamp despite being only 5-year-old company.

I agree most of the things with Jason Fried and co., but disagree the most core thing: the company doesn't need to be thought as a "product" per se, actually it's not even possible. In my opinion it may be even harmful to think that way, because it's livelihood for many people. It's also hard for take the tips that are based on a real product-based start-up (or should I say "stay-up" as presented in the book) when you have a service based business model where every case is different and not just bunch of features and ideas you build from within the company. What about plumming companies? what about creative agencies? I think the tips presented in this book do not apply for everyone.

The book is overally really good and I like it. But for some reason was left a bit disappointed, because realized the second half is all about "This is how we do things here at Basecamp". It's inspiring, motivating and even a bit captivating, but that's all it is. I recommend this book for everyone who has a traditional company, not modern and cultivated like mine and Basecamp's. Not that I'm any entreprenial Jesus or anything, I just agree with the book too much and it made it even boring.

Listened as audiobook via BookBeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work.

November 8, 2018 – Started Reading