Erik This Kid Reviews Books's Reviews > Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe

Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton

Wow. This book was so powerful, I really don’t know where to start. Norton has a knack for getting inside his character’s head, portraying teen life rather accurately. This has its ups and downs – I just want to mention that the book is definitely Young Adult. Nortan’s poignant story shows teenagers in all their glory and horrors in such a marvelous way and completely gritty way. We, the readers, need to hear this story – it’s a story of dejection and a story of hope. About fighting for a cause even as you’re called insane. About doing what is right, not what is standard. One of the things I liked about the premise was that even though the entire story revolves around the near-death experience and seeing God – the book isn’t so much about whether God exists or not (even though that conversation does come up a few times) but more about doing the right things. Cliff is a kid who isn’t necessarily the best person in the school, but we the readers still care for him because we see his story and can empathize with his emotional reactions. There are a lot of mature topics being broached, with drug addicts, abusive families, alcoholism, etc. There is no graphic violence and sex, although there is a fight scene or two – and at one point one of the main characters is confessing that he cheated on his girlfriend for another girl. I am definitely looking forward to reading more works by Norton. I honestly may have found one of my favorite young adult novels of this year. Please note I received a free review copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe.

Finished Reading