Liralen's Reviews > I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl by Gretchen McNeil

liked it
bookshelves: z-2018, fiction, ya, reviewed

Cute but requires a fair amount of suspension of disbelief. I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl asks you to believe, among other things: that the 'popular' kids are all dumb as a single box of bricks (seriously, they don't even get their own boxes); that you can reinvent yourself more or less overnight and nobody will so much as blink (they might not even notice); that personae such as Effeminate Gay Stereotype and (of course) Manic Pixie Dream Girl are instant wins with the popular crowd.

Which...okay. Sure. I'll suspend some (if not all) disbelief, but I wish this had been rather more...subversive? It's nice that Beatrice figures out that she doesn't have to act like someone else for boys to be interested in her, but I'd rather that the one hadn't been so wound up in the other: I wanted Beatrice to figure out that she didn't have to change herself for a boy...without the immediate leap to another boy. It's not unusual for YA, of course, but disappointing nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

Finished Reading