Jenny Morris's Reviews > Knee Deep

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry

Jan 08, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 02 to 06, 2012

In your life there are people that make decisions you don't think you'll ever understand. You watch them from afar and try to figure out what's going on in their heads. They're strong and intelligent, yet they make bad decisions. Ronnie is one of those people. Jolene, takes you each achingly sad step into the mind of someone that is being abused. You hear each thought of blame. Blame that Ronnie is causing it, and that Shawn is just stressed. It can't be anything more because Shawn is her future, her forever love. During each chapter I finished it thinking, now she will walk away. Now she will tell someone. Now he might really hurt her. And I wanted to shout it at her each time. Tell your parents! But of course I'm just the reader, sitting back watching those decisions unfold. Like a friend would, except I get to hear they whys of her decisions.

And even though this story was about a serious subject Jolene managed to weave a breathtakingly beautiful love story. Incorporating Romeo & Juliet seamlessly. Each line they said to each other, the feelings Luke and Ronnie allowed to blossom during those times, gave me a fantastic mental picture of their relationship. Luke isn't perfect the way Ronnie isn't. I yelled at him too. Do something for Ronnie, don't sit back and watch this happen to her. DO SOMETHING. But he was real and true to what people do. And in the end he did what he could.

LOVED this book. Ronnie and her story will be with me for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knee Deep.