booksneedcaffeinetoo's Reviews > Supernova

bookshelves: to-read

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
LOOK AT THAT COVER!!!!
LOVE IT!!!!!

Also. Did everyone read the excerpt on online?!? Because it is really good.

Can’t wait for November!

February 07, 2019
WE HAVE A TITLE!!!!!!!!

SUPERNOVA
and our MC is named NOVA
A GIF from the Disney Pixar movie The Incredibles which says Coincidence? I think not!

November 08, 2018:

Okay, brace yourself for THEORIES. (This contains spoilers for the first two books)

If we don't fucking get the big reveal with Captain Chromium and Dread Warden and Adrian and Nova and in one place I WILL FUCKING RIOT. I craveeee that drama. Like *surprise* your son's first girlfriend kind of tried to kill you.

I can't wait for Nova to be all "Well it's because you didn't save my family" and them to be all "well, actually it was your uncle's fault" and Nova to be all "no! you're lying!!" and Adrian be all "no, they are telling the truth" and then Nova go all psycho-killer on Ace.

Also, can't wait for Danna to lead her swarm of butterflies back to Nova's house and everyone be all confused and a huge fight occur and Nova gets caught.

And Adrian will have to go all Sentinel and his dads will find out.

I can't wait for Nova to realize the helmet was meant for her the whole time. Also what's up with the bracelet trying to connect to it?!? What's the meaning of the star Adrian kind of made her that got attached to her bracelet? Magpie said it's super valuable. Is it....dare I say....love? (ha! so cheesy)

Can't wait for Max to wake up and be like "that Nightmare chick lowkey saved my life....also have you notice how her perfume smells like Nova's?"

If I don't learn who killed Adrian's mom or Phobia's backstory I will declare this whole series a waste of my time.

Theories I had after the first book THAT WERE NEVER ADDRESSED:
-Either Phobia and Ace totally dated or Phobia is Adrian's bio-dad. (It would explain the note and why his mom could never reveal his true dad). OR BOTH.
-Max stole Adrian's mom's power, that's how she died. Hugh and Simon found out about Max that way when she fell to her death. It's why they were so adamant about taking them in.
-Also I picture Max as someone who drains a battery not steals a power. Because of the whole Ace ending thing. Where Max could drain a person of their power (keeping it if he doesn't use it daily) and the prodigy has to recharge and still has their power.
-Ace hired a hitman because Nova's parents were working with the Renegades. Ace blamed it on a rival gang. The whole "loyalty" and "the Renegades will come" and "they must be stopped" speeches her parents gave makes me think they were totally helping the Rengades. Also her dad hid her power from Ace because he knew Ace would want her for the cause.
~OR~
-Ace didn't hire the hitman. The hitman was actually a Renegade sent to hurt Ace via his fam. Either way, their deaths seem shadier than the Roaches killing them...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supernova.

November 7, 2018 – Shelved
November 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Amaral amazing theories! I never thought about the hitman theory, but that would actually be interesting to find out that was the reason why they hid her powers. Also there is sooo much grey area around Adrian's mom's death. I can totally see a total twist with both of their views - Nova's uncle, who she is blindly following to seek revenge is actually the person who killed her parents (he was sooo calm after finding her) and Adrian learning that he has been seeking out the wrong person the whole time. Like they both attach to one idea and just go with it like the world is black and white.

booksneedcaffeinetoo Megan wrote: "amazing theories! I never thought about the hitman theory, but that would actually be interesting to find out that was the reason why they hid her powers. Also there is sooo much grey area around A..."

The amount of grey surrounding Adrian's mom's death gives me so much anxiety. I NEED HIM TO KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!!

And Nova's uncle was super calm. Is it because he's a villain or because he's killed so many it doesn't phase him, or maybe he was only thinking I must get my revenge! or maybe he was kind of pumped to see a six year old point a gun at an unconscious man. Who knows?!

What theories do you have?

message 3: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Amaral booksneedcaffeinetoo wrote: "Megan wrote: "amazing theories! I never thought about the hitman theory, but that would actually be interesting to find out that was the reason why they hid her powers. Also there is sooo much grey..."

for the longest time, I thought Phobia was the one who killed Adrian mom and was the person from his nightmares. They made it a thing the second book to go into detail about Phobia's appearances as well as the creature in his nightmare's. but now i think that Phobia plays another role in this whole thing. He could have killed the Sentinel, but didn't. He also could have guarded Ace better too, but he didn't either. I think he could honestly overpower everyone in this book...but for some reason, doesn't. I think he might have played some part in perhaps making Adrian forget something maybe dealing with his mother's death. It's easier to blame a villainous creature than (let's go off your theory) Max. Maybe Phobia is actually a spy for captain chromium? Maybe he knows that Ace was alive...but barely, and keeping it under control...? maybe Phobia is just playing a role in a bigger plot. Adrian's dads know wayyyy more than they are letting on. I'm convinced. I def like your theory about Nova. I NEED her to stop being a dumb anarchist. I like of dislike Nova in this book because I was sooo frustrated with her.

message 4: by Midori (new) - added it

Midori Oooooh the THEORIES

booksneedcaffeinetoo Megan wrote: "booksneedcaffeinetoo wrote: "Megan wrote: "amazing theories! I never thought about the hitman theory, but that would actually be interesting to find out that was the reason why they hid her powers...."

RIGHT! Phobia had multiple chances to kill Adrian but didn't.

After the first book, it was kind of implied he was involved (though that would be easy villain choice imo, too obvious), but book two definitely makes be think he didn't do it. Why would he want to kill his son!?! Or maybe Phobia is in it just for the shits and giggles and doesn't really care who lives or dies but secretly craves the drama.

lol when you find out phobia is more of a drama queen than queen bee lol

OMG yes. Adrian's dads know way more than they let on. And like, I get it. You don't need to tell your employees or son everything but come one, Marissa throw me a bone. I NEED TO KNOW THINGS.

message 6: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Amaral booksneedcaffeinetoo wrote: "Megan wrote: "booksneedcaffeinetoo wrote: "Megan wrote: "amazing theories! I never thought about the hitman theory, but that would actually be interesting to find out that was the reason why they h..."

Seriously! Throw us something because I need something to happen that will make nova realize that she is dumb and she needs to stop being an anarchist! the world isn't black and white and she can chose her own side and not feel like she owes Ace anything.

Phobia also has to be playing a bigger part in all of this! He has to! He could have ended everything sooo easily. He's like the scarecrow in Batman. He can being the whole world down, but he's just chilling.

message 7: by Midori (new) - added it

Midori I agree. Nova is being SO STUPID. And obviously Phobia is going to have some big reveal on his identity. What about Callum though? Where do you think Wonder will play into this story?

message 8: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Amaral Kaelyndenneyoutlook.Com wrote: "I agree. Nova is being SO STUPID. And obviously Phobia is going to have some big reveal on his identity. What about Callum though? Where do you think Wonder will play into this story?"

My favorite character in this whole book was Callum! He was open to Nova's point of views and he challenged them, never saying they were wrong, but introducing a new way of thinking about it. Plus, I really appreciated that his power was bringing Nova's inner thoughts are desires out into the world, and not his desires. That scene when they were on the balcony looking over the landscape was everything! One of my favorite scenes and I got soooo mad at Nova when she was shown her inner desires and then interrupted them the exact opposite. I hope Callum plays a larger role in book 3. I like how his power isn't physical, but mental.

message 9: by Midori (new) - added it

Midori Thank you! I feel like Callum will, or does, not get enough credit in the fandom. He is such a foil to Nova, that I think we will have to see more of him. Nova also seemed surprised at his power, reckognized it before he told her.

message 10: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Amaral Kaelyndenneyoutlook.Com wrote: "Thank you! I feel like Callum will, or does, not get enough credit in the fandom. He is such a foil to Nova, that I think we will have to see more of him. Nova also seemed surprised at his power, r..."

I appreciated how Nova felt about him at the end when she broke into headquarters as Nightmare.

message 11: by Midori (new) - added it

Midori But she still denied him! And made him fall asleep. And hit him. I was so mad...

message 12: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Amaral Midori wrote: "But she still denied him! And made him fall asleep. And hit him. I was so mad..."

I mean trueeee but she felt bad about it! Right? Baby steps.

message 13: by Midori (new) - added it

Midori But what if he ends up dying?!?!?
Seriously, Marissa Meyer is a serious killer of wonderful characters.
If she kills off Callum...

Valeria YESS. I AM 83% SURE that phobia is adrians dad or somehow connected to him since he didnt kill him. I want phobias whole backstory to be revealed. And Callum i LOVED him, he needs to play a bigger role in the 3rd book!
(your theories were on point btw)

booksneedcaffeinetoo Valeria wrote: "YESS. I AM 83% SURE that phobia is adrians dad or somehow connected to him since he didnt kill him. I want phobias whole backstory to be revealed. And Callum i LOVED him, he needs to play a bigger ..."

OMG RIGHT!!! Phobia HAD SO MANY CHANCES to kill Adrian. Hell, Phobia knows how much Adrian's death would hurt Adrian's dads. They would be devastated. And yet....no killing. I'm convinced. Hell, I've been convinced since the first book Phobia was Adrian's bio-dad. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Also, I love your percentage "83% sure lol. I think I'm at a solid 87.3% sure.

And Callum was cool....but not my fave? I don't not like him but I also don't like him. Sorry. I think he'll suspect Nova of being Nightmare after the second Wonder moment.

Does anyone know why Adrian took "Everhart" as his last name after he was adopted? He grew up knowing his mom. He has memories of her. I figured he would want to keep his birth name to be close to her memory, not change it.

message 16: by Sarit (new) - added it

Sarit Didn't Phobia kill Adrian's mom? (at least that's what I understood from all the hints)

booksneedcaffeinetoo Sarit wrote: "Didn't Phobia kill Adrian's mom? (at least that's what I understood from all the hints)"

See that's what they want you to think!!!

message 18: by Baki (new) - added it

Baki I agree with booksneedcaffinetoo, max was only flying cuz of his extremely powerful telekinesis, so it was probably Phobia. And I think Phobia is undead, which explains him being able to reincarnate. And I think Phobia and Ace are brothers.

message 19: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Lew Lol that makes sense xD Maybe Phobia scared Adrian’s mom instead? I mean, that’s been MY theory since the first book. People can go into shock and not know what to do. Cause it seems Phobia know more about Adrian’s mom then anyone else, so it would make sense for Phobia to be able to scare Lady Indomitable so much she goes into shock and falls off the building. Or, scare her, stab her/kill her, then shove her off the roof. I have to agree with the Max theory, though. It does make perfect sense. :)

message 20: by Marissa (new) - added it

Marissa Yes!!! Your theories have been my theories for both books... and seriously I need the reveals to be Uber-dramatic and over the top and cause chaos in the aftermath for a while.

message 21: by Will (new)

Will Ok am I the only one thinking that it’s going to be magpie who finally figures out novas identity? I figure nova will wear her bracelet with the star as nightmare once run into magpie and magpie will notice the signature coming of the star/jewel thingy and realize that insomnia is nightmare? Because Maggie said she had never felt another signature like it? If I get this right I’m throwing a party. 😂

Chloe I love the theory about Max and Adrian’s mom...Holy shit that would be insane

Krystal I agree with many of these theories and also have my own: Evie never died and is actually Magpie.

message 24: by Ashton (new) - added it

Ashton Reed I definitely think Phobia is Adrian's dad and that maybe he killed Adrian's mom 😱 I also think Max could def be the one who reveals Nova because Max stole Nova's Insomnia power so he probably stole Nightmare's too! And I. can't. Wait. For the dramaaaa

message 25: by Ashton (new) - added it

Ashton Reed What if Phobia has an alter ego, so to speak, as a Renegade too? Maybe that's why he's not around all the time...

Manzar (lostpagesofbook) Rzayeva For some reason I got a feeling that one of the dads possibly killed Adrian’s mother since they keep telling him not to dig so much.

Manzar (lostpagesofbook) Rzayeva Also I exactly though the same thing about how Ace himself hired a hitman so he can gain Nova’s trust and create hate towards the Renegades

Lady_of_the_Dawn my theory is that Phobia is the minster from adrian's dreams and his worst fear was his mom falling to her death, and phobia used that and killed her

Calli What about Nova. Will she turn good? Will Adrian forgive her? Well I know everything isn't her fault. Will she forgive Adrian? And I have a thousand more questions. I just can't wait. I am going to drive myself insane. A year we have to wait. I can't

Calli Ya Krystal, I kinda think that Evie didn't die. She could be Magpie and if she was that would be awesome.

Audra I very very very much think that Ace will have been found to be responsible for Nova’s parents’ death. There’s been so much emphasis on how he thinks the ends justifies the means. Also I hope I start to like Nova again, because right now I think she’s pretty brainwashed. I can’t even.

message 32: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia omg this is exactly what I was thinking. I was so annoyed there wasn’t a reveal in the last one I actually was soo annoyed

message 33: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori Love all the theories! I cannot wait to see how it all plays out in the last book. Too bad we have to wait soooooo long!

message 34: by BookNerds101 (new)

BookNerds101 I just need to see if Adrian will ever trust Nova again. I really thought that they were meant for each other, and I shipped the couple. but once Adrian realizes that Nova is Nightmare I fear that it will be over for the two of them. It will take a lot of time for Adrian to ever trust nova for stealing things from his house, using him, and "trying to kill" Max. I canttttt wait for the next book and it's probably going to make me cry but it's ok.

message 35: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie OMG your theories just blew my mind. Some of them I had had and thought were crazy and others I had never even considered! Also can someone remind me of the other opportunities Phobia had to kill Adrian and didn't? I only remember the most recent.

message 36: by j.chestnut (new) - added it

j.chestnut ok. yes yes yes yes yes. i need this

message 37: by anny (new) - added it

anny I really want to see that Ace hired a hitman and him telling Nova that her father deserved it and she wanting to kill Ace but somehow he has a backup plan and one of Adrians Dad to rescue her and maybe he even die, so at the end, they held up their end of the bargain and she gets to know through that what a Dad they were.. Like drama. I want a lot of drama but I really can‘t take any heartbreak :(

booksneedcaffeinetoo AH SO MANY THEORIES!!!! I LOVE THEM.

especially the ones about:
-THE HITMAN
-ADRIAN dreaming about Phobia (WHOA)
-PHOBIA having an alter ego AND WORKING for the good guys!?!
-MAGPIE being Nova's baby sis!?!?!
-MAGPIE being the one to figure out who Nova really is!?!?!
-a MAX reveal

Bob Reichard My theories are that
- Phobia killed Adrians mom
-Ace is responsible for Novas parents deaths
-Nova might have some of her fathers powers
-the finale show off will be between Nova and Ace, where Nova will sacrifice herself to make things right
-Adrians dad will make an appearance
-the star on Novas bracelet is realy her fathers power

Lady Caroline We got a title?! Heck to the yiss y’all! Oh and what is the title dear compatriot? It’s mothereffing SUPERNOVA, huneybunchkins! Come this November, I will be living off car urine and chasing people away from my bridge if some serious questions do not get answered! Woo!

Lady Caroline *cat urine is what I meant to say, not car, dear compatriots

Joy (joyous reads) ALL OF THESE.

message 43: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren These are some really good theories! I always figured Ace was the real cause of the death of Nova's parents, especially after I read Archenemies. I also had a feeling Phobia was somehow related to Adrian/his mother's death. Your other theories are so interesting, especially the one about the helmet. Can't wait to find out if they're true ;)

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖ My theories
-Eventually Adrian is going to make himself so op that he's going to have a POWER OVERLOAD of some kind and go all crazy and destroy everything
-Nova will have an epic final battle against Ace where she learns that he's the one that killed her parents
-Adrian's mom isn't actually dead, but she faked her own death bc the Renegades are corrupt and she wanted to go solo
-Adrian's real dad is one of the Anarchists
-Nova's going to discover she has this awesome dank power she never knew about and its triggered by strong emotion (rage at Ace for killing parents)
-Ace killed Nova's parents to get Nova to hate the Renegades and cause her parents realized Anarchists are corrupt

message 45: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia Wow these theories are incredible! You’ve just made me more excited for supernova

Ashley I just finished Archenemies and I NEED people to talk to about it

message 47: by Rosamond (new) - added it

Rosamond Herondale These arr so great! I always figured Adrian's mom was sent to protect Nova's family, but was killed by the Anarchists before she got the chance to get there. So it's actually the Anarchists' fault that Nova's family is dead. I don't think it was Ace's fault at all, because Nova mentions at the beginning that when he came to her house, he was holding a bag of medicine for Evie.

message 48: by Arunima (new) - added it

Arunima Holy. Shit. I just finished re-reading Archenemies and ohmygod those theories just blew my mind. BLEW IT. I was only hoping for a dramatic scene between all the Renegades and Anarchists revealing Nova's identity, but all of this?! Shit. I actually think Phobia might have Lady Indomitable. And also please don't let Max die

message 49: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Anyone else think Adrian created the creature that killed his mom and that creature is Phobia?

message 50: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Poll Shelley I think Adrian created Phobia. Nova found all those drawers of the “monster” when she was snooping... and we know that Adrian can bring things to life... what if he made his own nightmares come true in his childhood drawings and he accidentally killed his own mother. Or that Max stole her powers and that’s why she fell... but then why doesn’t Max have wings and can fly?

« previous 1