Darlene's Reviews > The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characterwriter's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters S

The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Charac... by Marc McCutcheon

bookshelves: writing, on-writing, love, i-want-to-read-again, language, non-fiction

This is my go-to book for NaNoWriMo. It is great to set up characters for your book. I don't know how others do it. I have a program called WriteItNow that is good for generating names. Other people use that program for everything. But I write in yWriter. After I have my names, I go to this book. I have tabs set up for different characteristics and I use a number generator on my phone to give me the characteristic according to the list of each page. I try not to cheat. If the character is very flawed it is easier to write them. Between the name and the characteristics, a story seems to emerge.

The beginning of this book has a character development questionnaire. I have found this handy, also. This is the best book to get me started writing and helps me keep writing unless my characters are stuck behind boulders and not moving. Then I need bigger help. Probably a sprint/prompt=sprompt will get my characters out. Or I'll pull a George R.R. Martin on them.

If you get the chance to buy this book, you will be buying a treasure!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characterwriter's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters S.

Finished Reading