Julie Decker's Reviews > Steven Universe: Harmony #4

Steven Universe by S.M. Vidaurri

Issue 4 of the five-issue HARMONY miniseries is out. In the previous issue, the Harmony Core had captured all the Crystal Gems except Garnet and Steven, but Pearl has cracked the code--they can have access to additional options on this thing if they harmonize in song, with one person on the inside of the Core and one on the outside. Controls for the Cores appear, giving them the ability to return the incapacitated humans to action and return captured Gems to their Gems. But Amethyst and Steven aren't satisfied with saving their own people; these new revelations reveal that other Harmony Cores throughout the universe could be holding trapped Gems who were simply abandoned since Gems are so disposable to Homeworld, and they want to find a way to save them. Cooperation, music, and a quest in the Arctic for Garnet make for another really entertaining issue.

Now that the plot elements are finished being set up and we're just getting the payoff, this issue feels a little smoother than the previous three, but I still thought some of the dialogue was maybe contrived to plug holes and it still feels a little like the plot is wound around moments the writers wanted to have. (Not that I dislike those moments. They're great.) Seeing Connie and Greg and Sour Cream back in action is awesome (especially with Connie being so appreciative of Steven's efforts!), and there's a Garnet/Lion moment I wasn't expecting--super adorable. I really appreciate that the authors had Amethyst as the driving force behind helping trapped Gems, because she of course would resent the idea that anyone's fine with Gems getting left behind and forgotten. And I'm not totally sure why Garnet sang a song while she fought that robot, since the other songs in this series have been either band practice or plot-relevant connection devices, but hey, she's certainly sung while fighting in canon, so I'll take it! (Man, I really love Garnet.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steven Universe.

November 7, 2018 – Started Reading