Julie's Reviews > Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

bookshelves: 2018, e-book, historical-fiction

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is a 2018 G.P. Putnam's Sons publication.
One part mystery, one part legal drama, one part coming of age story, and one part love story- equals a full heartrending poignant tale that will leave you gasping for air.

Barkley Cove, North Carolina- 1969

Kya Clark- aka- “The Marsh Girl’ has been abandoned, one by one, by every single person in her life. She lives by the seat of her pants, in a shack, eluding everyone, except a friend of her brother’s named, Tate.

Tate watches out for Kya, when he’s able, and teaches her to read, among other things. As time moves on, however, despite a deepening affection for Kya, Tate knows he'll have to leave, and go away to college.

While he's away, the myth of ‘The Marsh Girl’ will solidify forevermore. Kya will face a challenge like no other, and her fate will rest in the hands of the residents of Barkley Cove, with folks who have taunted her, shunned her, and judged her, her entire life.

In 2016-17, there were several stellar novels written, which centered around children or teens raised in a turbulent, ‘off the grid’ environment, living in harsh conditions and under the care of an unreliable, or unstable father. While they were all quite compelling and effective, I wasn’t sure I wanted to tackle another one with a similar theme.

Yet, with more and more high praise pouring in and one stellar review after another posted by readers, I began to regret my decision to pass on this one. So, obviously, I succumbed, and checked it out of the library.

I never doubted the book would be a good one, I just didn’t know if I had the emotional strength right at this moment to tackle the topics of abuse and neglect.

But as it turns out, this story isn’t really about the escape from an unconventional upbringing, or about the harsh survivalist or endurance skills needed to cope with an unforgiving landscape, as I had originally thought.

While the story certainly drives home the cause and effects of abandonment and the cycles of domestic abuse and violence, this is also a very tender coming of age tale, a story of survival, but also a story of real friendship, true love, and what it means to truly feel free.

Kya suffers a great deal of heartbreak, even from unexpected sources, but seems to have resigned herself to a way of life she believes is really her only true option. But, all of it is threatened when a body is found in the marsh, and Kya’s life is suddenly under a white-hot spotlight.

The author does a fantastic job with the ecological descriptions and drawing the reader into the beauty Kya sees in her environment. The rich characterizations, especially with Kya’s character study, is another area in which the book excels.

There are layers of thought -provoking topics, and a stunning revelation that knocked my breath out, but for those who are sticklers for realistic fiction, this one stretches the boundaries of plausibility in many places. However, you should allow yourself to go along with it, because that is part of the beauty of fiction, and it is well worth any required suspension of belief.

Ultimately, I was exceedingly glad I gave this book a try. It was everything I knew it would be, but it was a lot more than I anticipated. As a fan of courtroom drama, I enjoyed the trial scenes, and the mystery elements, but of course it is Kya who stole my heart and made me feel envious for to the kind of freedom and way of life she willingly sacrificed so much to maintain.
4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Crawdads Sing.

November 6, 2018 – Started Reading
November 6, 2018 – Shelved
November 6, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
November 6, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
November 6, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)

Tina Woo hoo! Can't wait to hear what you thought of it!

message 2: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Excellent review, Julie!

Tina Heartfelt review! I’m so glad you enjoyed it and was a little surprised by it. I loved it too!

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Carter A very touching review, Julie 😀 I'm the same and can be hesitant and somewhat reluctant to read a book if a subject has been done to death, but I'm glad you found a gem and enjoyed it 🙂

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Loved your review. I keep putting this one off, not sure if it's for me. I'm so glad to know this one surprised you in a good way!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Wonderful review, Julie! This was a special book...glad you got around to it 💕👏🙌

Jonetta Great review, Julie! I’m trying to fit this in soon.

Marialyce Loved this book and your review, Julie!

Angela M Fantastic review, Julie.

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Really nice review, Julie! I need to read this.

message 11: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn WOW. It sounds good. Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Carolyn wrote: "WOW. It sounds good. Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Carolyn!! I think you'd really like this one! 💖

Julie Tammy wrote: "Really nice review, Julie! I need to read this."

Thank you, Tammy!! It really is a wonderful story!! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie."

Thank you, Angela!! .💖

Julie Marialyce wrote: "Loved this book and your review, Julie!"

Thank you, Marialyce!! It was a wonderful book!! 💖

Julie Jonetta wrote: "Great review, Julie! I’m trying to fit this in soon."

Thank you, Jonetta!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!! Enjoy! 💖

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! This was a special book...glad you got around to it 💕👏🙌"

Thank you, TQ!! Me too! 💖💖

Julie (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Loved your review. I keep putting this one off, not sure if it's for me. I'm so glad to know this one surprised you in a good way!"

Thank you, Bern!! I waffled on this one too, but I'm glad I took the plunge. 💖

Julie Rebecca wrote: "A very touching review, Julie 😀 I'm the same and can be hesitant and somewhat reluctant to read a book if a subject has been done to death, but I'm glad you found a gem and enjoyed it 🙂"

Thank you, Rebecca!! Yes, especially if the subject matter is harrowing or depressing. I can only take so much of that before it affects my mood. But, this one was a pretty special story. Glad I went with it. 💖

Julie Tina wrote: "Heartfelt review! I’m so glad you enjoyed it and was a little surprised by it. I loved it too!"

Thank you, Tina! It was very surprising- in a good way!! 💖

Julie Debra wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Debra!! 💖

message 22: by *Swaroop* (new)

*Swaroop* Very well-written review, Thanks Julie!

message 23: by KAS (new)

KAS Sounds wonderful, Julie ;) Glad you succumbed and ended up enjoying. Fantastic review!! 😘❤️

message 24: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!🤗💜

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!🤗💜"
Thank you, Kaceey!!

Julie KAS wrote: "Sounds wonderful, Julie ;) Glad you succumbed and ended up enjoying. Fantastic review!! 😘❤️"

Thank you, KAS!!

Julie ||Swaroop|| wrote: "Very well-written review, Thanks Julie!"

Thank you, Swaroop!!

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Well-constructed thought-provoking review!

Antoinette Excellent review, Julie.

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie  Durnell Excellent review, Julie! I'm looking forward to reading this.

Julie Paul wrote: "Well-constructed thought-provoking review!"

Thank you, Paul!!

Julie Thank you, Julie!! Enjoy!!

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review, Julie."

Thank you, Antoinette!!

Peggy Wonderful review. I, too, was like you on wavering to read it. I am now in the middle of it & it has captured me.

Julie Peggy wrote: "Wonderful review. I, too, was like you on wavering to read it. I am now in the middle of it & it has captured me."

Thank you, Peggy!! Just wait- the best is yet to come!! Can't wait to hear what you thought of it!! Enjoy!! 💖

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Awesome review, Julie! :)

Julie Michelle wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! :)"
Thank you, Michelle!! 💖

message 38: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Terrific review, Julie. I’m on the wait list for this one -
Hope it comes in soon!

Julie Jen wrote: "Terrific review, Julie. I’m on the wait list for this one -
Hope it comes in soon!"

Thank you, Jen!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one. I hope the line moves fast!! 💖💖

message 40: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson I’ve seen so many good reviews for this book. I’m glad you loved it too Julie. Wonderful review. !!😘

Julie Nicola wrote: "I’ve seen so many good reviews for this book. I’m glad you loved it too Julie. Wonderful review. !!😘"

Thank you, Nicola!! 💖💖

message 42: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Wonderfulvreview, Julie! Glad you enjoyed!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Wonderfulvreview, Julie! Glad you enjoyed!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 💖

message 44: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Wonderful review. I had been ambivalent about reading it, but it showed up in my book club so I thought I’d give it a chance. I’m glad I did. I really enjoyed it.

Julie Lynn wrote: "Wonderful review. I had been ambivalent about reading it, but it showed up in my book club so I thought I’d give it a chance. I’m glad I did. I really enjoyed it."

Thank you, Lynn!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, as well!! 💖

Margaret Agree with your review Julie. Had those moments when the plausibility made me wince. But the description and immersion in the landscape swept away those minor objections.

Julie Margaret wrote: "Agree with your review Julie. Had those moments when the plausibility made me wince. But the description and immersion in the landscape swept away those minor objections."

Thank you, Margaret! I'm more willing to suspend belief than I once was. It depends on the story. I've begun to wonder if our insistence on 'reality' might stymie a writer's creativity. So, I'm going to TRY to lighten up on that front from now on. 😁😁
Overall, it was a wonderful story.

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Terrific review Julie! :)

Julie Sandra wrote: "Terrific review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!! 😊💖😊