Melissa McShane's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

bookshelves: own, historical-fiction, world-war-2, epistolary, romance

My daughter read and loved this book and was appalled to learn I had never read it. (Her exact text: I thought u people LIKED books)(She doesn't bother spelling out words, ever) So I had her put it on my bed (Yes, of course I own it, I own like 1200 physical books I have not read, no I don't think I have a problem, thank you very much) and read it the next day.

Of course, this was almost three months ago, so I don't remember the details, but I loved it. It's a delightful story, and I'm a sucker for tales told through correspondence. There's a sweet little romance, and some heartwrenching moments, and overall I am glad I didn't put off reading it any longer. I really liked the sideways take on World War II, which kept the book from feeling stale. Highly recommended.

Started Reading
August 19, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 6, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest Your review set me to reading other reviews by other Goodreads friends--it sounds interesting!

Melissa McShane And I ended up reading some of those reviews that you liked! It was a really enjoyable book...though I'm now thinking about that "more English than English" idea from one of those reviews and wondering how true it is. Hard to tell when you're an American reader without the English experience.

message 3: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest For me it's the use of British phraseology--I feel like American writers end up using more of it than is natural in everyday British speech. As Americans, we *notice* British turns of phrase, so I understand writers sticking them in to show that these are British people speaking, but then they tend to use them too much. Or they sometimes get the intensity of slang wrong. And then sometimes they miss speech things that *are* common. Like, a British person is more likely to say "I'll meet you at half past five" than to say "I'll meet you at five thirty." ... At least in my experience, but I'm realizing that I'm now relatively old and what I'm saying applies for people of my generation and older--younger people probably have some different speech habits!