Hotondo Dantenshi's Reviews > Firestarter

Firestarter by Tara Sim

This book was good but not as good as the two preceding it. The plot got overcomplicated and too many characters were introduced into the story, including the true villain of the story (and in the previous two books there wasn’t even a hint that they existed). Most of all of the books were pretty bloodless, we only occasionally have a character die, but in the last chapters of this one we have characters die all over the place, without us getting to really know them and without it being consequential to the plot, in my opinion.
Speaking of inconsequential deaths, did Dae have to die, couldn’t someone with less unique skills do it? Also we barely known him, as he never was on any mission and we saw him only when he was working Colton’s holder, so his death didn’t even have an emotional impact.
And Danny got kidnapped way too many times, one would thought that after the first two times he would be more careful, but no.
I also don’t understand the author’s decision to tell Zavier the truth about the clock spirits off page. It would be an emotional moment and I was looking forward to seeing it. Maybe it would make me like him a little bit more, because I didn’t too much.

But a part of all of that I liked this book. It was funny and heartbreaking in parts, which I normally like. I liked the fact the author showed that after something so traumatic is not easy to get well again and something can’t be ever as they were before or fixed. That the living must continue to do so (even though I again don’t understand the decision to include the whole “hand situation” at the end of the book. What did it add to the plot?).
The characters are great and I’m sure that if we would got to know them better I would think the same. There is plenty of diversity in both sexuality and skin colour and also there is a trans character. And Colton and Danny are so cute and I was so scarred for them because they fought a lot in this book. And also, horny clock spirit?

Even though I would change a little the ending (just because of my personal preferences), it was satisfied for both the book and the series. All and all I’m really happy with this conclusion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firestarter.

November 6, 2018 – Shelved