Simone's Reviews > Until the Last Star Fades

Until the Last Star Fades by Jacquelyn Middleton

1581928

bookshelves: 2018, romance

** spoiler alert ** SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Starting this review off with a trigger warning: This book does talk about cancer and losing someone you love to it. I just feel like I should bring this up first if you're squeamish or sensitive.

I was stuck between a 3.5 and a 4 for this one and the reason why I decided to go with 4 stars is because this story is just wonderful in all the good and wonderful ways you want a romance story to be.

I loved Riley and Ben and all the characters in this book. Riley is the hardworking post-graduate who loves her mom (who has cancer) and also struggles with smiling depression. I feel like I'm a lot like Riley and me resonating with her character really helped me to like her more. She's struggling to keep everything under control when lo and behold, Ben comes along and shares with her a little bit of life.

Ben is just your average bad boy. He's a little messy thing who's trying to be an actor and the kind of guy I would think is very aware of how good he looks. However, his charm really won me over like the hundreds of other people who probably felt the same thing. I love a bad boy with a heart of gold, you know.

I think the best and most surprising part was the end. We don't get to learn a lot about Ben throughout the novel and I honestly was waiting for the other shoe to drop for him, but he surprised me. His character's massive growth in this book really made me happy. While I'm not a fan of the "savior" story mostly because it's an unrealistic view of relationships, I did love that he was open and willing to try and change. He didn't change EVERYTHING about him and Riley didn't either, but they were able to compromise in a way that make me happy couples like this exist. With some conversation and a little empathy, relationships are manageable. There are happy endings in the world.

And speaking of HEAs, you'll definitely get it here. I mean, it's a romance. But what's great about this ending is that it feels like a real couple. The truth between the two of them is finally revealed. Ben has made sacrifices. Riley has made sacrifices. Honestly, it feels like no one was truly selfish to one another in this book. There was the kind of drama that your brain just tends to do, but once you learn the truth you're more shocked and happy to know that it was your brain lying to you and not your partner.

I think the only thing that really bothered me was something major that happened. To me, it felt a little unrealistic but at the same time a huge romantic gesture. Or human gesture. I just wish there was a little bit of a more realistic effect to that decision.

But aside from this, definitely recommend. It's about 480+ pages, but because there's a lot of dialogue and stuff happening the book moves quickly. I was worried to read it was a "slow burn" and get overwrought literary expression in a romance. But it was definitely a romance. It has its sad moments and happy moments. Perhaps a lot of stuff going on over a small period of time, but so worth it.

You can find UNTIL THE LAST STAR FADES on Amazon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until the Last Star Fades.

November 5, 2018 – Shelved