Obsidian's Reviews > In the Tall Grass

In the Tall Grass by Stephen King

bookshelves: favorites

Not too much to say about this short story besides there is no happy ending. I am warning you there is no happy ending. Also don't read and eat at the same time. I repeat, don't read and eat at the same time.

King and Hill do a very good job with developing Cal and Becky (Irish twins) and my heart and body hurt for both of them. Becky's story and realization of things that come broke me. Sometimes I need a happy ending King, just saying.

Also I am a terrible person, because if I heard a person calling for help, the first thing I would go, that's a trap and call 911. I have seen and read too many horror books/movies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Tall Grass.

November 5, 2018 – Started Reading
November 5, 2018 – Shelved
November 5, 2018 –
100.0% "NOPE! And I read this before eating and am going to be off food for several hours now. Very scary/gory and just...shuddering."
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
November 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Gunjan (NerdyBirdie) me: *isn’t sure if this book will be read but decides to eat and read at the same time because I’m stupid like that*

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Nov 07, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Sarah Okay, this is going to be a long comment. First of all, I don't think the last sentence makes you a terrible person at all, it makes you a smart person because it's not just the likelihood of it being a trap (usually only happens in crime thrillers and horror and most of the time that's not real life) it's the question of whether you'd actually be able to help if you did run to the sound of screaming, or if you'd just end up as victim #2.

I recently saw a show called Sacrifice which had Derryn Brown, a hypnotist, who took an overtly racist man (thought "all the Mexicans should be kicked out of America"), tricked him into thinking he was taking part in a biotech experiment (fake injected him with a microchip) when he was actually being hypnotised into thinking he was 'brave' whenever he heard a certain series of notes (through any one of a number of bugged pieces of technology they gave him). After the suggestion was implanted they left him alone for some months so that he thought he was back living his life as normal and the 'biotech experiment' would be out of his mind. Then they somehow got him to drive out to a 'biker bar' out in the middle of nowhere (actually an abandoned building populated by actors) and he makes a pit stop out there.

The skinhead bikers invite him inside their bar and befriend (even giving him one of their club jackets). While he's waiting a Mexican man (another actor) just happens to drive past the bar and the bikers accost him. They start attacking him and demanding to know if he's there illegally and he is forced to admit that he is. The head biker takes out a gun and says he's going to shoot the guy because he's there illegally. The hypnotised guy is sitting in his car just off to the side of where the scene is happening, watching it all. After the head biker gets his gun out that special set of tones is played through his car's sound system. The guy gets out of his car and runs to put himself between the gun and the Mexican guy and pleads with the biker to not shoot. The biker ignores the pleas and shoots the hypnotised guy in the chest. He collapses and thinks he's bleeding to death, but what's really happened is that the jacket the bikers gave him had blood packs planted in the front of the jacket and when the biker fired the gun (obviously loaded with a blank) one of the others set off the blood pack (which actually have a small amount of explosive in them and go off with a bang and create a noticeable punch against the skin). Once the hypnotised guy collapsed to the ground the hypnotist ran over and assured him that it was all part of an experiment and that everyone else were actors.

The reason I told you this entire thing is that as I was watching the final scene I was thinking "There's no way I'd run over there. What's the point of me getting myself shot along with the other guy?" Clearly the bikers are never going to think twice about shooting someone because I plead with them, so I wouldn't even be saving his life by sacrificing mine. What I would have done would have ruined the experiment because I would have rammed the car straight into the biker with the gun. Killing/maiming the guy with the gun (and likely stopping the murder of an innocent man) is a much better outcome than inconveniencing the bikers by giving them two dead bodies to dispose of (which is all that would have happened if that scene had been real) instead of one. Story over!

Obsidian Gunjan (NerdyBirdie) wrote: "me: *isn’t sure if this book will be read but decides to eat and read at the same time because I’m stupid like that*"

You poor thing. I was nauseous forever after finishing this.

Obsidian Sarah wrote: "Okay, this is going to be a long comment. First of all, I don't think the last sentence makes you a terrible person at all, it makes you a smart person because it's not just the likelihood of it be..."

That's an awesome story! And yeah, I am always amazed at people doing things against their own best interest in these types of stories/books.