Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho's Reviews > The Worm That Wasn't

The Worm That Wasn't by Mike Maddox

liked it
bookshelves: abaddon-solaris, sci-fi, trying-to-trade

I read this book for two reasons. First I wanted to read a light reading and then I wanted to read a book with few ratings. In this case it had one rating and zero reviews.

First of all, I can understand why this book had few ratings. It's a shareworld with two previous unsucesseful books, by a relative unknown writer.

I did enjoy the book. Not so much as to try reading the previous ones. I like the mix between magic and science. A kind of steampunk. Unfortunally it wasn't that explored in my opinion. Since, nobody is going to read the book, I am going to give a spoiler. The ending was my favourite part. Basically some sage stole the magic from all mages and if he died, magic died with him. Everything that was magical, in the world, would fall. So they ponder of what to do.

"The thing about magic, is that once everyone knows how it's done, it's not magic anymore. It's just science. And I Like science."

"For millennia magic and science have woven themselves around each other on Inan, like creepers twining around a tree. Like... serpents. But no more. Today we are left with science and nothing else. And who knows where that will take us?"

Now if you substitute magic with religion you get the same thing. All this book has some information on how religion magic is not that good.

The characters were not that developed. They were there. Leah our main character was also the only one who evolved. A light-hearted girl who never took anything serious had now the responsabilities to take over the work and have person beneath her.

Pag 91 - "The library was theoretically avaiable via wrist-port to everyone. And yet Grefno preferred to use the books themselves. The crispness of the dry paperr, to smell the musty spines of the leather-bound volumes..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worm That Wasn't.

January 8, 2012 – Shelved
July 28, 2012 – Shelved as: abaddon-solaris
July 28, 2012 – Shelved as: sci-fi
April 20, 2014 – Started Reading
April 20, 2014 –
page 35
15.63% "A book with only one rating.That's it :)"
April 21, 2014 –
page 69
30.8% "Looking great. A mix of steampunk, magic, WWI warlike and fantasy. If it wasn't for all the typos it would be great. But so far I am enjoying a lot this novel."
April 23, 2014 –
page 79
35.27% "This book is quite good. Don't understand why nobody review it (or read it)."
April 24, 2014 –
page 129
57.59% "Pag 91- "The library was theoretically avaible via wrist-port to everyone. And yet Grefno preferred to use the books themselves. The crispness of the dry paperr, to smell the musty spines of the leather-bound volumes..." -- That's one star right here. :)"
April 26, 2014 – Finished Reading