Kevin's Reviews > Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls

Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls by T Kira Madden

bookshelves: nonfiction-or-memoir, all-time-faves

I have so many thoughts and feelings on this amazing book. First off, it's such a strong batch of work--varied personal essays that seamlessly build into a cohesive and stylistically interesting memoir. It actually feels like TWO books to me. The first is the life that T Kira lives in her own heart and body and the second is the unknown tendrils of secrets she discovers after her father's death.
I've known T Kira for a few years now and know she's one of the sweetest people on the planet, but I was still blown away by how powerful her writing is here. She's no bullshit. She's funny. She's a sentence magician. She's vulnerable. She's seductive. She's fearless. She's generous. In some ways, these essays reminded me of the high energy awesomeness of Michelle Tea's early work, but with a sheen of Florida decadence. This is one of the best memoirs of the decade. I cried while reading many parts of this memoir--from sadness and loss, and for love and life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls.

November 4, 2018 – Shelved