Moony Eliver's Reviews > Claustrophilia

Claustrophilia by Ezra Blake

bookshelves: 2018, lgbtqia, m-m, mysterious-or-suspenseful, depravity-is-my-jam

Look... I’m not here to try to convince you to read this, OK? If you’re not at least a little curious about depravity, this book’s not for you. So let me just get that out of the way up front.

But don’t make the mistake of reducing this thoughtful, complex, ingenious story to its list of content warnings. It’s not only insane, it’s insanely well-written.

I know that not everyone can (or wants to) do this, but I have the ability to completely sink into a wide range of NMK shit when it’s presented to me in an exquisitely constructed package. I can root for evil, get turned on by depravity, and feel sorry for monsters. I LOVE when amazing (and rare) writing does that to me.

If you do too, you’ll lose yourself in this one and might even forget that you used to think these things were utterly disgusting.

Well, no. You’ll still think they're disgusting. But somehow, in the context of this story, they’ll work.

I’ve been wondering whether to write about what I found myself accepting, but then I would just want to tack on a thousand disclaimers and explanations and end up feeling really self-conscious. Here’s the thing: I was just as nauseated as each of you were when reading the list of warnings, but then... I saw an opportunity for the book to try to sell me on these things.

C’mon, writing — make me buy it, make me feel it.

When an author can do this, it’s as brilliant as an actor making me bawl in public, as inspired as a chef making me devour fennel, as fascinating as the right companionship making me have a blast at a kid’s birthday party.

It’s art. At its most compelling.

So if you want a journey that might start with gagging and sweating, but take you to cackling and squealing, and leave you gasping and sighing, don’t hesitate. This one’s a gem.

**I requested and was given a free copy of this book from the author via the DBML program. But then I bought it, full price, so that should say something.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claustrophilia.

November 4, 2018 – Shelved
November 14, 2018 – Started Reading
November 15, 2018 –
25.0% "Welp... Our protagonist sure did settle into that new role nicely. 😳

This is better than I expected, y'all. Please don't unfriend me. 😂"
November 16, 2018 –
69.0% "It takes remarkable writing to make content like this not only worth reading, but art.

Ezra Blake is a remarkable writer."
November 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)

message 1: by Teal (new) - added it

Teal Great review, Moony. It's an amazing experience, to be swept up into a story that way.

message 2: by Hollis (new)

Hollis woah. I just.. wow. this review. I'm kind of dumbstruck. ten points to Ravenclaw.

Moony Eliver Teal wrote: "Great review, Moony. It's an amazing experience, to be swept up into a story that way."

Thanks Teal! It really WAS an amazing experience. During the first 25% or so, I found myself needing frequent breaks, but then I must have been effectively brainwashed after that because it became so hard to put down. I am gobsmacked that this was his first book. Thanks again for tipping us off to it. 😘

Moony Eliver Hollis wrote: "woah. I just.. wow. this review. I'm kind of dumbstruck. ten points to Ravenclaw."

Thanks Hollis! xx
I really wanted to do it justice. ❤️

message 5: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Amazing review, Moony. I wish I had the courage to give this book a go, but I don't. Like I tell all my GR friends who can read this level of darkness, I applaud your courage.

message 6: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Great review, Moony! I had to downloaded a sample because I’m nosey like that. Now I just need to pluck up courage to read it. 😬

Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ Not my cuppa, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, Moony. :D

Moony Eliver Lyn wrote: "Amazing review, Moony. I wish I had the courage to give this book a go, but I don't. Like I tell all my GR friends who can read this level of darkness, I applaud your courage."

Haha thanks Lyn. I'm not sure if it's courage or just masochistic morbid curiosity. 🤣 Fortunately, as twisted as it was, it wasn't really scary. I'm a total wimp when it comes to that.

Moony Eliver Claire wrote: "Great review, Moony! I had to downloaded a sample because I’m nosey like that. Now I just need to pluck up courage to read it. 😬"

Thank you Claire! In this particular case, a feel of the writing is the most important thing for you to get from the sample. Hopefully this makes sense -- the quality actually makes the content easier to handle as it gets darker and the story progresses. So if you're impressed with the quality of the delivery, then trust the writer -- he doesn't let you down. :)

Moony Eliver Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~ wrote: "Not my cuppa, but I'm glad you enjoyed it, Moony. :D"

Thanks Linda! :)

⚣Michaelle⚣ I think that I am intrigued...

message 12: by Moony (last edited Nov 17, 2018 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Moony Eliver ⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣ wrote: "I think that I am intrigued..."

Xia Xia Lake I'm 59% done, fucking amazing writing! Moony, you wrote the perfect review for this unholy, crazy, depraved, horror story which also has one of the best writing I've seen this year!

message 14: by Shile (last edited Nov 18, 2018 06:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shile Well, your updates convinced me. 🤗🤗 Amazing review Moony, i am starting it ASAP. I can't wait to go through the journey you described in your review. xoxo

Moony Eliver Xia Xia wrote: "I'm 59% done, fucking amazing writing! Moony, you wrote the perfect review for this unholy, crazy, depraved, horror story which also has one of the best writing I've seen this year!"

Dammit woman! I wish you'd been able to finish it on your flight because I have NO ONE to talk to about it. Hurry up! 😆

Moony Eliver Shile wrote: "Well, your updates convinced me. 🤗🤗 Amazing review Moony, i am starting it ASAP. I can't wait to go through the journey you described in your review. xoxo"

Yay! I feel comfy waving you in here, for sure. 😁 Keep us posted!

Shile Moony wrote: "Shile wrote: "Well, your updates convinced me. 🤗🤗 Amazing review Moony, i am starting it ASAP. I can't wait to go through the journey you described in your review. xoxo"

Yay! I feel comfy waving y..."

Will do! :)

message 18: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Derus All. Your. Fault. that this month's Kindlebudget went *flooey*
I hope you're deeply, darkly shamed by your misdeed.

Moony Eliver Richard wrote: "All. Your. Fault. that this month's Kindlebudget went *flooey*
I hope you're deeply, darkly shamed by your misdeed."

I think the fact that I loved the hell outta this book used up the whole lifetime of my deep, dark shame well. I hope you love it too, Richard! :)

message 20: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Derus *grumble*

message 21: by Ariana (new)

Ariana Super review! XD

Maria Great review! 🦋

Moony Eliver Ariana wrote: "Super review! XD"
Maria wrote: "Great review! 🦋"

Thank you both! :*

Jan  Wow. High praise, my friend!
Can't wait to dive in this bizarre tale. LOL

Jan  Claire wrote: "Great review, Moony! I had to downloaded a sample because I’m nosey like that. Now I just need to pluck up courage to read it. 😬"

You've got my support, Claire :D
We can do it!!! LOL

Jan  Shile wrote: "Well, your updates convinced me. 🤗🤗 Amazing review Moony, i am starting it ASAP. I can't wait to go through the journey you described in your review. xoxo"

Oh, *inserted surprised face* look who is here!
Helloooo sista :D
We might be able to do this together ;-)

Jan  Xia Xia wrote: "I'm 59% done, fucking amazing writing! Moony, you wrote the perfect review for this unholy, crazy, depraved, horror story which also has one of the best writing I've seen this year!"

Happy you are having *cough* fun, Xia Lol

Moony Eliver HI JAN! I can't wait to hear your thoughts... 😘😘

Jan  Moony wrote: "HI JAN! I can't wait to hear your thoughts... 😘😘"

Which one I'm going to read first?! decisions, decisions... ;-)

Shile Jan wrote: "Shile wrote: "Well, your updates convinced me. 🤗🤗 Amazing review Moony, i am starting it ASAP. I can't wait to go through the journey you described in your review. xoxo"

Oh, *inserted surprised fa..."

Helloooo! sista! lol! as if i can be left behind. 🤣🤣
I am starting it in a couple of hours. Join me my friend. 🤗🤗

Jan  Moony wrote: ""

Lol 😂
That’s exactly the way I feel:D

message 34: by monika (new) - added it

monika Great review Moony! I'm "a little curious about depravity" but I don't know yet... I might try it, we'll see ;)

message 35: by Moony (last edited Nov 20, 2018 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Moony Eliver monika wrote: "Great review Moony! I'm "a little curious about depravity" but I don't know yet... I might try it, we'll see ;)"

Thank you! That's definitely a bare minimum. 😁 It's funny, I was looking at some of my earlier comments about being scared to go into this one... and now I can't wait for him to publish something else. 🤣 I'm still not a fan of this content, I'm not going to seek it out elsewhere. But I am now a devotee of Blake's writing, so I'll take whatever he serves up. Haha!

message 36: by monika (new) - added it

monika Moony wrote: "monika wrote: "Great review Moony! I'm "a little curious about depravity" but I don't know yet... I might try it, we'll see ;)"

Thank you! That's definitely a bare minimum. 😁 It's funny, I was loo..."

message 37: by Moony (last edited Nov 20, 2018 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Moony Eliver monika wrote: "it's tempting, what you just wrote Moony, very tempting :) to be pushed beyond your limits by the writing style :)"

I am absolutely torn in half in my conversations with other people about this book. On one hand, I don't actually want to tempt anyone to read this who can't handle the content, because that's not fair to them OR the author in the end.

On the other, I want other people to experience what I did -- a genius writer painting an amazing picture of something that would have been repulsive garbage in someone else's hands.

I'm seriously trying to refrain from selling it because I know that my lack of limits isn't the norm. 😂

message 38: by Laxmama (new)

Laxmama Ok all the girls I trust with ALL the stars....hmmm. I am that palmearían right now should I go for it?

Moony Eliver Lax, the writing is incredible. From that standpoint alone, I recommend it without reservation. But the content is as dark and fucked up as it gets, so that's something only you can judge in terms of your comfort level? PM me if you have questions! xx

message 40: by Laxmama (new)

Laxmama I never get notifications on Iphone so annoying.... I am not one to shy away from dark or fucked up, however gore, bloody can get to me I am a bit squeamish.

Moony Eliver Laxmama, (view spoiler)

message 42: by Laxmama (new)

Laxmama TY