Xia Xia Lake's Reviews > Claustrophilia

Claustrophilia by Ezra Blake

description

I can't believe I've reached the other end in one piece... I. AM. EXHAUSTED! I need cute fluffy reads ASAP to purge myself. I need to shower in holy water together with my kindle and be exorcised. I haven't been to church in years but this Sunday I'll be booking a seat for confession.

Why? Do you see my rating for this book? Do you see it? It's five stars. FIVE. Five stars!

I'm gonna tell you why I rated the book with five stars but first I'll give you 3 chances to step away.
1. This will be the book for you only if you are interested in deep dark reads with murder and psychopaths and characters like in The Silence of the Lambs.

2. The Trigger warnings:
abusive relationships, blood, corpses/necrophilia, cannibalism, claustrophobia, death, emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, drug use, forced captivity, graphic sex, kidnapping, rape, suicide (attempted), torture, violence, watersports/urine

3. More details on the trigger warnings under a spoiler tag:
-> Will there be necrophilia sex described on page? (view spoiler)
-> Will there be cannibalism on page? (view spoiler)
-> Will they be eating someone still alive? (view spoiler)
-> claustrophobia, how bad is it? (view spoiler)
-> Is there any eroticism in the book? (view spoiler)
-> How bad is the violence? The worst I've read about. Ever.

This book is the final boss for every dark thriller reader. You think you may have battled and won dominion over darker books. Nah. This is the darkest thing you can read. This is the abyss. This is so f**ked up that it twists the entire meaning of "f**ked up" to a whole other level.
Don't read it just out of curiosity, especially if you don't tend to read dark books. Don't do it. You're gonna get crushed and scarred forever and it will not be the author's fault but your own for choosing this book.

If you still pick this book up, it's your choice and your choice only. Don't say you haven't been warned. Any emotional distress will be your own doing.

I gave it five stars because:
1. The writing, editing and book structure is absolutely brilliant. I was uncomfortable and distressed most of the time and the superb writing kept me going page after page after page
2. The characters blew me away. There are two pshychos not one, the only difference between them being the level of depravity and deviation and the fact that one shark is a Great White while the other is a Megalodon. I am in awe and flabbergasted by the character development. Ivan and Chris were completely unapologetic for their deviations. At no point did the author try to make the reader root for them and make any apologies for them. Nothing wrong had happened to them in their childhood. They didn't come from bad families. They just were born with these unspeakable deviations. Chris has more remorse for his killings and urges, while Ivan has none.
3. The mental conditioning: at one point I did not know whom was being brainwashed, Chris by Ivan or myself by the author.
4. I read the most atrocious things possible, not because they were enjoyable, but because they were keeping me on the edge of my seat, in a twisted addiction to the story and the characters, wanting to know what will happen next
5. This book pulverized my boundaries. I might never read a book with these tags ever again. It was enough for me, but if I ever get back the courage to read something like this, Claustrophilia will stand as reference
6. Claustrophilia made me want to rate down all the psycho books I've 5 stared because they can't hold a candle to this.
7. This book is present tense, has dual POV and is split in 3 parts. For the last two parts we move from present to past. I hate these things. They make me rate low. This being said, I loved the past and present exchanges in this book. They improved the book. They improved the plot. They improved everything.

Now I need drown myself in sugary fluffy reads for recovery.

Free exchange for an honest review under the DBML Program

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claustrophilia.

November 4, 2018 – Shelved
November 14, 2018 – Started Reading
November 14, 2018 –
page 1
0.3% "If I won't post any updates in the next 48 hrs send help!

description"
November 14, 2018 –
11.0% "This book is shockingly well written. I am appropriately horrified by how much I like it."
November 16, 2018 –
31.0% ".... never felt like this before... ultra uncomfortable but deeply attached to the story, characters and writing....

....... help."
November 17, 2018 –
59.0% "I don't even know anymore whom is being mentally conditioned in this book, Chris... Or me, the reader?? It's getting better and better 😵😱( in a sick way)."
November 19, 2018 –
71.0% "It happened. I actually puked.
Note to self: Don't read this on a full stomach."
November 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

message 1: by Elena (last edited Nov 04, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Elena It would have been easy to list the tags that didn't apply. :D
I'm definitely not brave enough for this, but I hope you'll find good company and have fun, Xia!

message 2: by Xia Xia (last edited Nov 04, 2018 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xia Xia Lake Elena wrote: "It would have been easy to list the tags that didn't apply. :D!"

Are... but...but are there any tags left? lol.

Thanks a lot Elena! This is going to be a wild ride....

Later edit: Even the reviewers of this book freak me out.

message 3: by Mymymble (new)

Mymymble At least no child abuse or coprophilia.
While not comparable, those two are pretty big noes for me.
Sorry Xia Xia, no time to buddy up. Enjoy it!

Moony Eliver You know I'm in! I'm scared. But I'm in. 😝

message 5: by annob (new)

annob Thank goodness Moony volunteered, I'm way too scared by all that darkness. Have fun guys!

Moony Eliver At least with Xia on the other side of the world from me, she can soothe me through my nightmares in the wee hours of the morning.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena Moony wrote: "At least with Xia on the other side of the world from me, she can soothe me through my nightmares in the wee hours of the morning."

It would be the first time different time zones actually serve a purpose on GR. :D
Have fun. :)

Shile How did i not see this?!. I am aaaaaalllll innnnnnn😋😋😋😋

Moony Eliver Get in here, Shile! The water is DARK and FUCKED UP! 😂

Xia Xia Lake OMG, I'm so sorry everyone, I've missed all your comments! The book is still on DBML if you want to read it. Well written but *gags a little* very fucked up.

Maria Hmn, as a psycho thriller perhaps. Characters like Hannibal fascinate me. The utter madness. Now, if you’re talking twisted love affair, nah, I have no desire to gag. I will look forward to your review. Just in time for the holidays! 😂

Shile Ohh let me head to DBML.. You had me at Dark and Fucked up!

Xia Xia Lake @Maria, me too, and in this case we have not one, but two twisted guys. It's very psychological and I like that the "gag factor" works and it doesn't seem to be used so much for the shock effect, but that it suits the characters 🤗 I was scared of this book. I am still scared but the writing is too good to drop

Xia Xia Lake @Shile, baby did you get the book?

Shile 😭😭😭Not yet.. I have been refreshing my email, but nothing still. 😢😢

Moony Eliver 😬 I can feel your distress coming through in your great review. I think this one was rougher on you than it was on me, although I think your reaction was probably much more in line with what most people's would be. 😂

Thank you again for pulling me into this one with you -- it was an amazing experience and I wish this author all the success in the world. Though it will be an uphill battle since his audience is extremely niche. :)

Xia Xia Lake The nichest of the nichest niche, Moony! I also wish the author all the success and all the luck to find the perfect readers.
Thank you a lot for reading this with me and holding my hand! There must be a public for this book out there, but it might be harder to find.

Maria I’m going to read this ... in between the sugar plums (what is a sugar plum btw?) ho, ho, ho’s and all that. Sign me up! 💎💙

message 19: by Mymymble (last edited Nov 19, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Mymymble Maria wrote: "I’m going to read this ... in between the sugar plums (what is a sugar plum btw?) ho, ho, ho’s and all that. Sign me up! 💎💙"

A crystallized greengage plum. They're nice but the idea is much nicer.

message 20: by Teal (new) - added it

Teal Mymymble wrote: "They're nice but the idea is much nicer."

Like so many things in life.

Great review, Xia! I can see how you might need to retire from reading dark books, because nothing else will ever compare. I hope you have some marvelously fluffy things lined up now.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Excellent review. Hard pass thanks to you & the 3rd spoiler you put up. Nope. Nope. Nope. You are far more country strong than I.

⚣Michaelle⚣ Oh man, I really wanna read this now. But I'm going to pass until after the holiday season...

Shile 🤗🤗🤗🤗Your review made me giddy.. And it is perfect.. Ugh! These characters are the best. The writing superb and on another level. Great review Xia. 😘😘😘

Maria Thank you Mymymble☺️🍇🍍🍓🍉🍎

Xia Xia Lake @Maria, I would stay away from the Chrismasy sugar plums while reading this book. Actually I would recommend you fast and eat nothing, lol. I can't say you will enjoy this book, but I can confirm it's quite the masochistic page turner. :D :* We'll be here for you when you start in case you need us :*

Xia Xia Lake Mymymble wrote: "A crystallized greengage plum. They're nice but the idea ..."

LOL! Mymymble, you guys are making me associate sugar plums with this book for the future and stay off them for good :))

Xia Xia Lake Teal wrote: "Great review, Xia! I can see how you might need to retire from reading dark books, because nothing else wi..."

Thanks a lot for the hints on this book Teal! I could say it made quite the impact on me and I think on all the readers. I've conquered the final boss, but I may never play this game ever again. No more mana left, lol.

Xia Xia Lake Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "Excellent review. Hard pass thanks to you & the 3rd spoiler you put up. Nope. Nope. Nope. You are far more country strong than I."

Thanks a lot Cupcake! Yep, I wouldn't recommend this book to 99.99% of the world population. Ezra did a good job, and I hope he finds his public because he deserves it.

message 29: by Xia Xia (last edited Nov 20, 2018 03:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xia Xia Lake ⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣ wrote: "Oh man, I really wanna read this now. But I'm going to pass until after the holiday season..."

Michaelle, good idea! :D Better become vegan after the holidays :P Let us know if you need us for support while reading this. :* It's not an easy read at all. And remember, empty stomach and holy water nearby.

Xia Xia Lake Shile wrote: "🤗🤗🤗🤗Your review made me giddy.. And it is perfect.. Ugh! These characters are the best. The writing superb and on another level. Great review Xia. 😘😘😘"

Thanks a lot Shile! looking forward for your review now, because you are close to the end you little Speedy Gonzalez Reader you! :*

Shile Xia Xia wrote: "Shile wrote: "🤗🤗🤗🤗Your review made me giddy.. And it is perfect.. Ugh! These characters are the best. The writing superb and on another level. Great review Xia. 😘😘😘"

Thanks a lot Shile! looking fo..."

Lol! the story is soooo captivating, i can't stop. :)

Xia Xia Lake Shile wrote: "Lol! the story is soooo captivating, i can't stop. :)
."

I knoooow, goddamn!!! I know!!! See what we meant? Fucked up but so addictive! I feel forsaken.

* A Reader Obsessed * Won't be touching this with 100 foot pole but happy you loved it....

message 34: by Xia Xia (last edited Nov 20, 2018 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xia Xia Lake R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "Won't be touching this with 100 foot pole but happy you loved it...."

Thanks R! "Loved it" is a bit of a stretch. Let's say I appreciate the literary value :P and it had an unforgettable impact, lol.

message 35: by monika (new) - added it

monika What is THAT??? and are you still the same sweet person after reading this or have you changed? XDDD Good lord, I'm happy you survived! I wasn't even able to read the triggers section :XDDD

Xia Xia Lake :))) THAT was my final boss battle in dark thrillers, LOL!
The only change Moni is that I became temporarily vegan :)))

Like Moony said on her review, we are torn on this book. The writing is spectacular, but damn! That subject! We want the author to have success but I don't know how we can help spread the word because this is a book you can't recommend to anyone. It's a book I'll never re-read ever again, but it left a big impact. Damn it!

message 37: by Lyn (new)

Lyn How can a review with such strong warnings from a reader that seems to have been left traumatized after reading it, come off as enticing?? lol. I think you have some magic in you, Xia!!! I applaud you for making it through. You and Moony are brave souls! xoxo

Xia Xia Lake Big hugs mi querida Lyn! xoxo Thank you so much! It' was quite the challenge to read this one, I will drown myself in fluff for a month to recover, lol. :**

Jan  Incredible review, Xia!!!!! 🤩
🤯🦵😈🤢🤡👺🍗⚙️🔪💡
I’ll see you in hell! 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

AGandyGirl Fabulous review!!!

Xia Xia Lake AGandyGirl wrote: "Fabulous review!!!"

Thanks a lot, AGandyGirl ! You read this? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I'm gonna hunt for your review :D

message 42: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Oh, I don't know. I am a friend of dark up to pitch black and crazy... but the amputation's part terrifies me. Please PM me if it is done to any of the MCs <3

message 43: by Katerina (new)

Katerina I immediately thought of Boxing Helena....

Xia Xia Lake OMG, that movie freaked me out!
Just sent a message, Kat. :*