Kiri's Reviews > Fluent in 3 Months: How Anyone at Any Age Can Learn to Speak Any Language from Anywhere in the World

Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis

This is an energetic and friendly book. Benny Lewis encourages you to jump right in and start speaking from day one -- he can't emphasize this enough -- in order to learn a language. This view of language learning is very functional: if you want to use language to communicate, then the best way to learn to do so is by doing it, not by studying all those fusty old grammar books. (It's amusing when, in Chapter 7, he rather grudgingly determines that those same grammar books DO have some utility, in a section titled "Traditional Language Learning Suddenly Becomes Useful.")

Ultimately (as Benny would agree, I think), language learning is personal. The best strategies for one person aren't necessarily the best ones for another. Some of this comes down to your pre-existing skill levels and your personality, and a lot of it comes down to your motivation. Why do you want to learn the language? What will it bring you? As Benny would say, what is your PASSION for the language? If you focus on those things, you won't find it so hard to carve out time for a language-learning hobby.

Since I enjoy reading, I used this reasoning to give myself permission to just read a Spanish book for enjoyment, even if I didn't understand every word, without feeling obligated to spend half my time in a dictionary. Much more fun!

Maybe soon I'll get brave enough to follow Benny's advice and connect with a Spanish language partner or tutor online so I can work on my conversational skills, which definitely need help. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fluent in 3 Months.

November 4, 2018 – Started Reading