Sally's Reviews > Life in a Small Town

Life in a Small Town by Pia Dahlbeck

Jan 08, 2012

bookshelves: in-translation, for-school, small-town, glbt-girls, four-handkerchiefs, 1900s-10s
Read in September, 1997

I read this in year 10, when we had to find a book that was about "life in a small town", and my friend Anna and I were browsing an op shop and both spied THIS with its extremely fitting title! Anna grabbed it first but soon passed it over to me once she decided it wasn't to her liking. I ended up really loving it. It's just set in a small Swedish village shortly after the turn of the century, and really is mostly just a simple day-in-the-life sort of cosy tale. Currently reading Miss Read's Village School is what made me think of it, because the feel is very similar. It's probably extremely wrong to give it a glbt tag at all, but what's most vivid in my mind is how wonderfully slashy the two school mistresses were, and the utter grief of the one left behind after the other dies. I think she had cancer or something - it was a long, slow illness that creeps ever larger during the story, and the town is so small and the teacher so beloved that you really feel the grief when she does die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life in a Small Town.