Petrik's Reviews > Planetside

Planetside by Michael Mammay

bookshelves: owned-ebooks
Recommended to Petrik by: Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Recommended for: mystery & sci-fi fans

4.5/5 stars

Planetside was a very impressive military sci-fi debut.

I’m actually surprised that so few people I know (close to zero) are talking about Planetside this year. Seriously, Harper Voyager and reviewers really should’ve advertised this book more, it’s a fantastic debut and if it weren’t for my friend, Niki Hawkes, I wouldn’t have heard about this gem at all.

The plot in Planetside revolves around Colonel Butler, a war hero in semi-retirement as he received a mission from an old and powerful friend to go back to a war zone in order to find a high councilor’s son who went MIA. Although Planetside is labeled as a military sci-fi, the execution of the storyline was more mystery oriented; think of it as a mystery detective story in a sci-fi novel. The storytelling involved a lot of fast-paced investigation and Intel gathering more than action sequences; they never fail to keep me guessing and intrigued. It’s not a long book, it took me roughly four hours to read and I was thoroughly entertained. However, I did have a minor issue with the ending. Don’t get me wrong, it was great, thought-provoking, and quite powerful, but at the same time I also found it to be a bit anti-climactic because after all the incredible momentum building towards the moment, it ended a bit too fast for my liking; I wish there was one or two more chapter to explore the aftermath to make the lasting impression of the ending even stronger.

The characters were great. The narration didn’t actually explore Butler’s characterizations as in-depth as most books I usually read but his characterizations were well conveyed throughout his dialogues and actions; this makes Mammay an efficient storyteller that tells an effective and fast-paced story without neglecting the personality and motivations of the characters. Butler, for example, was utterly a no bullshit type of character, he and all the side characters behaved like true soldiers and it was really obvious that Mammay knows what he’s talking about here. Military structure, actions, weaponry, and attitudes; I’ve heard that the author has served as a solder and the knowledge he gained from it was crystal clear evident in every aspect of this book.

Mammay’s prose was simple, sharp, and highly accessible. There are no super hard sci-fi jargons here, I envision that as long that you’re not a stranger to the genre, you will be able to enjoy and understand everything in this book. There were only one action sequences near the end of the book but it was superbly tension-packed. As I said before, the mystery detective element of the book was more dominant but whether it’s the mystery or the actions, everything was more than enough to keep me fully engaged with the novel.

Planetside was crafted as if the main purpose of it was to keep the readers hooked and it did its job splendidly. Immersive, fast-paced, smartly written, and imbued with every element of a wonderful page-turner; Planetside is a sci-fi debut you don’t want to miss. I totally recommend this book to everyone who’s looking for a great mystery detective story in a military sci-fi environment.

You can buy the book with free shipping by clicking this link!

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planetside.

November 3, 2018 – Shelved
November 6, 2018 – Started Reading
November 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Suhail (new)

Suhail Mystery detective story in a sci fi novel.

Petrik Suhail wrote: "Mystery detective story in a sci fi novel.

I always wondered if something like what dresden files did to fantasy existed for sci fi. I'm hopeful because of your review."

Thanks, Suhail. It's a great one, I hope you love it! :)

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Great review, Petrik! You seem to be on a kick with stories with mystery elements in them. Glad that's working out well!

Petrik Colleen wrote: "Great review, Petrik! You seem to be on a kick with stories with mystery elements in them. Glad that's working out well!"

THank you, Colleen! Haha yeah indeed. Seems like mystery, as long that it keeps me guessing (unlike Girl on a Train) is a genre that I really enjoyed!

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller I'm so thrilled you loved it as much as I did!! :D

message 6: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Adams Niki got me to read it too; very impressed.

Petrik Niki Hawkes wrote: "I'm so thrilled you loved it as much as I did!! :D"

Woohoo!! Thank you for the recommendation! :D

Petrik Jon wrote: "Niki got me to read it too; very impressed."

She's very passionate about it! I'm glad for it though! :D

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Mystery/military sci-fi? That hits some seriously good notes for me. Sort of like Altered Carbon but not so *difficult*

Petrik Hannah wrote: "Mystery/military sci-fi? That hits some seriously good notes for me. Sort of like Altered Carbon but not so *difficult*"

That's a great comparison, Hannah! But yeah, the writing was very accessible, I think you'll have a great time with it if you enjoyed Altered Carbon as well! :)

message 11: by Jorge (new) - added it

Jorge  Ramos Welp, you definitely have my interest. I'll put it on my radar! Thx!!!

Petrik Jorge wrote: "Welp, you definitely have my interest. I'll put it on my radar! Thx!!!"

Awesome! You're welcome, Jorge! I hope you'll love it! :)

message 13: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Grey Now you've got me interested in this book my friend . Great review . :D

Petrik Rusty wrote: "Now you've got me interested in this book my friend . Great review . :D"

Thanks, Rusty! :)

Elenora Can you describe to me what was good Scifi in this book?
The aliens, you know anything about them? Their culture? What's the description again? Big head, big eyes... woah, never read that before! How do they live? Organise themselves? Did they really make compelling villains? Did you feel they were a threat? Don't you feel it's weird that no one in this universe seems to give a shit that we discovered talking, bipedal aliens and all we want is suck the silver out from under them? Was it a realistic human reaction to encountering foreign life?

What about action planet side? Was it realistic that we could just breath the atmosphere without any help? That the air didn't contain any microbes or viruses or parasites that would be dangerous to us? What do the troops drink?

Also, what technology was new? Warfare was pretty much 'Nam but called Cappa3. Even their HUD sounded like shit. They can bust planets but the HUDs can't widen your vision! Boohoo!
What weapons were new? Or dwelt on? Or impacted the story?

Did you ever feel like the space station was a space station? Did you ever feel like the great void was right there, behind thin walls? Please let me know when because as far as I'm concerned they could have been on the ground the entire time.

This book was a half decent military mystery but I'll never accept it as anything more than a completely half-baked scifi at best. I'm furious people are gushing this much over it, it's like everyone forgot what a scifi is supposed to offer.