Lee Mather's Reviews > Brutal Light

Brutal Light by Gary W. Olson

Jan 08, 2012

Tired of sparkly vampires and dystopian futures?

Brutal Light is a complex and original novel that follows a group of individuals from Detroit who are affected by a God-like power referred to as the Radiance. The story takes the reader on a journey into the surreal and it switches between the physical world, and what I would describe as an astral plane, the Noumenal. Each of the characters are pawns in a wider powerplay and as the plot unravels we get to find out who exactly is playing whom.

Gary Olson successfully weaves together a universe that involves concepts such as metaphysics, classical philosophy, and the nature of identity, as well as featuring components from various religious ideologies. Spot The Dog it is not. There is intelligence in the construction of these themes and Olson's writing is sharp and descriptive.

Films such as Inception and The Matrix have featured worlds within worlds. If you liked these films then I believe you would also appreciate Brutal Light. All in all, Brutal Light is a thought-provoking and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brutal Light.