Sunil's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

bookshelves: 2014, favorites

"The circus arrives without warning," the book begins, and then, without warning, you, the reader, are completely enchanted with the world Erin Morgenstern has created, a world in which a traveling circus—open only at night, hence the name—becomes an underground sensation, a secret delight.

Like a mash-up of Something Wicked This Way Comes and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell , The Night Circus combines the evocative imagery and fantastical wonder of a mysterious circus with the intricate plot and strong personalities of a fierce competition between two powerful magicians. Using the Night Circus as their battleground, they pit a girl and a boy against each other in a contest whose rules only the two men know.

While the conflict between Celia and Marco forms the heart of the plot, there's so much more to the book, which is structured as a series of vignettes in various times and places, told from the perspective of many different characters: even you, the reader, who visits the Night Circus and experiences its otherworldly charms. While they do bounce around in time a bit, for the most part, the plot unfolds in a linear fashion. We begin in the nineteenth century and make our way into the twentieth, watching Celia and Marco grow up, locked in a seemingly eternal struggle, and watching the Night Circus develop from a dinner party idea into a viable business.

I love books with a large cast of characters whose lives are interconnected, some of them seemingly supporting characters who end up having large roles in greater events. I love books that transport me into another world simply with the power of their language. I love books that make me scream in the car at plot twists. I love books that I relish returning to and am sad to leave.

Hearing Jim Dale read the book aloud added an extra layer of wonderfulness, as he savors all the language and, let's face it, everything sounds better when read by Jim Dale. It was especially fun because several of his character voices sound like characters from Harry Potter.

The Night Circus is a thoroughly engaging tale of magic and mystery, love and family, choice and consequences. It's the kind of book you want to curl up with over a cup of hot cocoa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

January 8, 2012 – Shelved
April 11, 2014 – Started Reading
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
May 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Pica I think you will really like this.

Sunil You were right.

Pica Sunil wrote: "You were right."

It happens sometimes.

Rachel LOVED this book

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Thomas me too... read it in one g..stayed awake all night..completely, totally, utterly enchanted